Vicksburg, a city that wears its history well


Advertisement
Published: June 17th 2008
Edit Blog Post

This morning, Alan and I wake up to the smells of egg casserole combined with fresh coffee. After listening to Doug Cousineau’s stories about his 1870-era home, we expected to see Leona Baer’s ghost floating around our room last night in Baer House Inn Bed and Breakfast . Thankfully, our sleep was a peaceful one.

With only one day to explore Vicksburg, we have lots of history to cram into the day. Since yesterday was spent sitting in a car, Alan and I opt for exercise and a tour of Vicksburg on foot. It means we won’t have an opportunity to visit the National Military Park commemorating the siege and defense of Vicksburg, a key battle of the Civil War. Instead, we’ll save that for our next visit.

As we walk through Vicksburg, Alan and I talk about the interesting mix of history and modern life that’s evident all around us. Some of the houses are grand, well-kept mansions; others are in need of repair. The mixture of old and new, groomed and unkempt, gives the city a nitty-gritty feel that appeals to us. It seems real rather than a perfect re-creation.

A turn down Harrison Street leads to McRaven House. Sitting in a park-like setting of azaleas and magnolia trees, the home is almost hidden from view. After walking down the brick path, we reach the front door where a sign reads, “Knock softly and wait for the guide.” Alan knocks softly and eventually one of the docents welcomes us to the home. Built in three stages, 1797, 1836 and 1849, McRaven House reflects three distinct periods in U.S. history. The amazing thing about this home is that it hasn’t been changed since the Civil War. It takes an hour-and-a-half to tour the rooms that contain period artifacts and furnishings.

After our tour, Alan and I walk to the city’s center that sits on a bluff above the Mississippi River. Eventually, we end up at The Old Courthouse Museum on Cherry Street. The self-guided tour takes us through displays of Civil War history as well as a restored courtroom.

Back at Baer House Inn Bed and Breakfast, our wine tonight is a merlot that is served with a pepper jelly and cream cheese appetizer. Later, Alan and I walk to Anchuca Café where we dine on blackened catfish served with a crab and artichoke cream sauce. On the way back to Baer House, we pass a church where gospel music serenades the spring night as the choir practices for the Sunday’s service.

Great food, fascinating history, real people, we’ll definitely be visiting again.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



17th June 2008

marmaris
’Life is short and the world is wide’ so said Mike, and this sums up what most of us do - travel because life is short, and the world is wide! Some make this as organised and as comfortable as possible, others go with the flow. Who has more...
18th November 2008

back in the late 1800's
We just got home from the Baer House Inn in Vickburg, MS and had a wonderfully time. Our stay at the Baer House was wonderful and the hospitality was great. Thanks Doug (Breakfast was awesome)!!! We did not get to do everything we wanted, but we will go back at another time. We ate well while in Vicksburg. We ate at Borello's downtown on Washington St. for lunch which was really nice. Anchuca for dinner which was awesome. Anchuca was a smaller place, but had a great atmosphere, great service, and the food was out of this world. We also ate at Beechwood (does not look the best from the outside, but the food and service were very good). I have never stayed so full for so long. The food was just all that good. There are so many things to do. If you like history, touring old homes, and shopping, you will enjoy your stay in Vicksburg. And I do recommend that you give Doug a call at the Baer House Inn. Tiffani and Jared
7th October 2010
Gardens at McRaven House

I want the McRaven House to open back up!(:
i love this house but its too bad that it closed down!): When i heard it closed i just wanted to cry! I love it! i just wish that i could walk in it one more time.. i would do anythingfor the McRaven hosue to open up again

Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0674s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb