Painted walls, rocks and landscape!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Minnesota » Grand Rapids
September 21st 2010
Published: September 24th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Serously, this is the Mississippi River!Serously, this is the Mississippi River!Serously, this is the Mississippi River!

The origin of it is about 120 miles north of Grand Rapids.
(Blue Water Covenant Bible Camp)

This project has been different in the fact that we’ve spent nearly every weekend in Mankato with Megan’s family….what a treat for us. They’re only five hours away, which everyone up here thinks is reaaaallly far, but being from Montana we know that’s just down the road! That’s one of the reasons we requested this project. But it has meant that we’ve done less touring of the area, so you’re not going to get overly familiar with northern Minnesota from me!

That said, I do need to tell you that it’s just gorgeous here right now; last weekend when we came back the trees were yellows and oranges, and two days later we went into town and the maple trees had started to change, so the landscape has added bright red, maroon and pale reds. It’s kind of like fireworks~~you watch one and think it’s the best, and then another one goes off, and you’re sure it’s the best. We go around a bend in the road and the view nearly takes my breath away, and then we go a bit further and there’s one exploding with different colors that are even more magnificent.
A gentle evening!A gentle evening!A gentle evening!

Looking across Blue Water Lake.
I can see why people travel up here to see the leaves. They’re changing so rapidly that we’re wondering if there’ll be any left when we pull out next Friday.

The men have been busy moving walls and doorways in two of the larger cabins. Whenever I see that it makes me thankful that I didn’t know Bob could do this while we were still in our house, or I would have pushed for moving walls rather than moving the furniture! It’s impressive. One of the cabins they put in some walls to make more sleeping rooms, and in the other they removed some walls to make it open for the counselors to have room to have staff meetings, and still have smaller rooms to sleep in.

Linda and I finished the painting in the rooms under chapel, which was such a fun project. So often the camps want things painted in solid colors, and usually pretty neutral ones that will be easy to touch up. On this one they said they wanted the kitchen, the dining area, and the living room painted white, and then wanted some kind of border put in each room~~they didn’t care what
They're just beginning to turn...They're just beginning to turn...They're just beginning to turn...

and it's definitely a promise of things to come.
the borders were, just something. OOoooook…I’ll include pictures to show you what we did. When that was finished, Linda went to the craft cabin where Marilyn and Nettie were using leftover paint to cover the brown particle-board walls; it turned out so bright and cute that it just makes you smile when you go in! Perfect for a craft building! I went to help Joyce and Pat make (or in some cases remake) curtains for some of the cabins. They had taken apart some old curtains, and added headers and trim to give them a new look, and several more years of life! Also very fun to work on! Next week all the women will clean the kitchen while the men finish laying floors in their buildings.
I can't believe it's already the end of the third week.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

It's not a deer--It's not a deer--
It's not a deer--

it's a dear rock! I don't know who painted this, but it is cute. It's about the size of a football, and is outside one of the cabins.
Seems like a worthwhile project!Seems like a worthwhile project!
Seems like a worthwhile project!

Actually, they were building right turn lanes off Highway 169, which goes through oodles of little towns.
I can hear the conversation:I can hear the conversation:
I can hear the conversation:

"We should sell that big red trailer." "Ok, I'll make a sign." PS The sign is painted on the hood of an old car...well, I hope it was an old car!
The dog was lying down when we The dog was lying down when we
The dog was lying down when we

went past, but we turned around to get a picture and apparently that was his sign! Two days later we passed here again~~the snowmobiles were still for sale, but the dog was gone!
Can you imagine how excited Bob was?!!Can you imagine how excited Bob was?!!
Can you imagine how excited Bob was?!!

Yep, you can! Actually we missed it, but on Sunday afternoon there were still lots set up.
The dining area:The dining area:
The dining area:

can you tell which wall is cinder block?!
The living room was this tanThe living room was this tan
The living room was this tan

color with stenciled border when we started, so we just painted the wall and left one row of blocks to form a border. It was in great shape, and I couldn't see any reason to get rid of it.
Aren't these bright colors?Aren't these bright colors?
Aren't these bright colors?

And you can bet that little white patch was gone before the women quit!


24th September 2010

great paint colors!
I had NO idea the Mississippi would be clear up there! And the Accident Reduction sign made me laugh!
24th September 2010

Hi, Lis~~
It's up here, but it doesn't amount to much! It would be easy to make a life lesson out of that, wouldn't it?! Let me know if you need a lecture! mom
26th September 2010

What a beautiful place to spend fall!
27th September 2010

Hi, Sara!
The color is already fading on the trees. But we've been grateful to be here.

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0576s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb