sun, sun, sun


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan
June 13th 2008
Published: June 13th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hey all, we are in Flint, Michigan and we've just finished having some good Chinese food :-)

After leaving our camp yesterday we made the relatively short trip to Gurnee, Illinois where we stayed with Susan, Jim, and Julia. I (Lynne) found it very weird being back in the neighbourhoods where I worked for a summer. Susan took us down to the intersection where I crashed - can't quite believe that was 9 years ago...

It was wonderful to visit with Susan, who has not changed a bit, and Julia who is now 14. It was also great to meet Jim and we all had fun hanging out for the evening. The pics are of Jim and Paul 'competing' in the Dance, Dance Revolution - very funny!!! Samuel had fun chasing the cat around the house...

Unfortunately we could only spend one night before moving on. We had planned to make a stop in Chicago and have lunch in Grant Park, but we missed the exit (there was a ton of construction) and so we headed on into Indiana. On the map there was a national park listed by Lake Michagon (I think it was called Indiana Dunes State Park) and so we thought that would be a good place to stop for lunch. Armed with our Subway lunch we headed in that direction....not worth the hassle! We went to one entrance to the park and we were told it would cost $10 to enter...forget that (come on you all know we are cheap) so we drove along and ended up in a waterfront subdivision where there were a bunch of houses all along the shore. Thankfully there were some public access spots so we strolled through one of those and voila we were there on Lake Michigan. It was stinking hot so we ate quickly, kept Samuel shaded by us, dipped his toes in the lake and off we went.

That was pretty much the excitement of the day - lots of construction on the highways slowed us down today but we made it to flint. There was a Super 8 motel at the exit we took and so we thought we would check it out...Paul went in to find out the price and came back out right away and we were out of there...the front desk had the plexiglass stuff to divide the staff from guests so we figured that was not a good sign!! I guess we were in the wrong part of town.

Anyways, we are hoping to get an early start tomorrow so we can get to Toronto before rush hour traffic - it's about a 4 hour drive from here. Samuel is doing well considering all the driving. He went to bed tonight with little fuss so that is good. The cold is still lingering but hopefully not for much longer.

That's the catch up from the Boutcher tour.
'til next time.

LPS


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Dance, Dance, RevolutionDance, Dance, Revolution
Dance, Dance, Revolution

Sorry this is a bad pic...I was a couple of seconds too late in taking it but you get the idea


13th June 2008

We enjoyed your visit
Hi Paul, Lynne, and Samuel. We enjoyed your visit with us so very much. It was great to see you again and see how well you are doing as a new family. Samuel is so precious. What a delight that we got to meet him and get to know him. I'm so sorry that you had bad traffic around the Chicago area, but I think it's great you got as far as Flint. Hoping you enjoyed Lake Michigan a little bit. Thanks for the lovely pics!! Hope the rest of your trip goes well. Love, Susan
13th June 2008

Hey over there!!
Glad to hear the weather has improved and that Samuel's cold is getting better. The boys have all had colds in this house-I think I am perhaps getting it now (of course-it's the weekend). Have a wonderful visit with Darlene and the boys this weekend - will you get to see Andrew once he's back? Looking forward to the next installments!xoxoxox Bevy

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0438s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb