Michigan's Berry Junction & White Lake pathway


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » Whitehall
October 2nd 2011
Published: October 1st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Fred Meijer Berry Junction Trail
and White Lake Pathway




Text and Photos last updated: September 2011
Number of times we have biked this trail: White Lake: 4, Blueberry Junction: 2


Location: Whitehall to Dalton (just north of Muskegon)
Distance: aprox 13 km
Distance markers: No
Surface: Fresh asphalt
Width: 3 to 4 metres
Grade: Flat
Conditions of trail:excellent
Parking: Chamber of Commerce on US 31 Business
Water: none
Washrooms: one porta potty
Rest Areas: a few benches
Trail marking: NONE at this time

White Lake Pathway



In 2009 we biked the 3-4 km portion of the White Lake Pathway from the White Lake Chamber of Commerce to the to the Whitehall Library where it ended. This short trail was an extension of the Hart-Montague Bicycle Trail State Park (see separate blog which includes this pathway as well))

When we returned in 2011 we were told that the trail had been extended, but no more information. The White Lake Pathway is now complete to White Lake Drive. Beginning at the Chamber of Commerce & Tourism office at Business US 3 and White Lake in Whitehall(lots of parking), the trail passes through the town of Whitehall. There are a number of street crossings, gardens, tunnels, trestles and art sculptures along this route (see photos) Be sure to stop off at the library for washroom and water. It is one of the nicest small libraries that we have seen.


Fred Meijer Berry Junction Trail



We were pleasantly surprised to find that the trail continued south of White Lake Drive for another 10 or so km. A brochure we picked up later showed a "proposed" trail along this same route, referred to as the Fred Meijer Blueberry Junction Trail which is to be 14 miles or 23 km long. It also shows this trail connecting with the Muskegon Lakeshore Trail and the Hart-Montague Trail(see separate blogs)

At White Lake Road (very busy and no parking) the trail straightens out and most of the time all you can see is the horizon. The pathway is both open and shaded. The asphalt was fresh and very smooth along this section.

While biking we found out that this portion of the trail had only opened a few months ago! The intent is to connect this with Muskegon Trails and then to the Musketawa Trail and White Pine Trails see separate blog entries for both)

Perhaps because the trail is so new, there are no signs anywhere that indicate the name of the path or give any other information (for example map showing “you are here”.) The street crossings are also not named unless there happens to be an intersection nearby. There was one porta potty on the trail.

Going south from White Lake Road, you will cross:
Michilinda Road
Riley-Thompson Road
Bard Road and
Tyler Road.


At Riley Thompson Road, the trail passes Michigan's Adventure Amusement Park” A huge roller coaster is right beside the path (see photos)


The trail ended about 500 metres south of the village of Dalton. The village is about 250 metres West on Tyler Road. We swung in to Dalton and found the Full Moon Saloon and Diner. This place welcomes bikers and has great deals on both food and drinks. Even though we had packed a lunch, we decided to eat and drink here!


We look forward to returning and seeing this path upgraded with information and connection to the Muskegon Lakeshore Trail. (see separate blog)



Additional photos below
Photos: 24, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.378s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 60; dbt: 0.078s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb