Dah U.P. part II


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Michigan » UP
June 14th 2009
Published: June 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Alex & JohnAlex & JohnAlex & John

on boat cruise

SUNDAY

(pictures of hike on next post)
We grabbed breakfast at a restaurant called The Dog Patch before heading out for a day of hiking. I packed all sorts of food to eat at the campground, but the Piranha Flys had a tendency to kill the mood. Our first stop was Munising Falls. It was a little over a 1/2 mile to the falls and back - no biggie. The view was nice, but a tad boring on the adventure side. There were bathrooms and wooden walk ways there and back.

Our next stop gave us two options. Chapel Rock to the right or Mosquito Falls to the left. Ooooor a third option of doing the whole loop totaling ten miles. We decided to head toward Chapel Rock and just play it by ear. Nobody thought about bringing additional bug spray, water, or food. I had my canister of water, John had a partial bottle of water. That was about it as far as supplies went. We went for it though. We completed a nine mile hike and skipped the extra mile to Mosquito Falls because it was getting late and our repellent had worn off....they don't name a place after mosquitoes for no good reason. We managed to see Chapel Falls, Chapel Rock, Chapel River, Mosquito River and a lot of the pictured rocks in between.

This hike? AMAZING!

There was never a dull moment. We started hiking through woods on dirt paths filled with exposed tree roots, where some areas were a little tricky getting around the mud. It started to get fairly hot, but as soon as we got to Chapel Rock, the breeze from the lake cooled us right down. Some areas of the path were sand, some parts solid dirt, some parts mud, some parts rocks, it regularly changed. So did the temperature. It was quite hot in the woods, but by the cliffs next to the lake were so cold I could see my breath at some points.

It was wild having the woods to our left and 200 foot drops to our right. The sights were literally breath taking.

They're the same sights we saw the day before on the cruise, but from this perspective and the interaction, it topped the boat cruise 10 fold. To see how tiny we are in comparison with the thrill and danger of
Pictured RocksPictured RocksPictured Rocks

Chapel Rock
the cliffs, it was incredible.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Pictured RocksPictured Rocks
Pictured Rocks

Fallen Rock
Pictured RocksPictured Rocks
Pictured Rocks

Indian Head Rock


23rd June 2009

totally beautiful pics!!!!!!!!

Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb