Rebekah Redemer Guest Blogger on Feng Tai & Jenison Partnership


Advertisement
Published: July 23rd 2012
Edit Blog Post

“The Journey Begins”



Who would have imagined Jenison teachers planning and executing a Fine Arts Camp in Beijing China? It all started with a phone call in the summer of 2011. A Jenison alumni contacted the offices of Jenison International Academy (JIA), inquiring about our school for a friend that lives in Beijing. This began the journey.



What started as a personal inquiry proved to be much more as weekly correspondence developed with this parent in Beijing. It was discovered that parents all over the world have similar goals and aspirations for their children…What if we could bring two cultures together through educational experiences?



In February, a team from China, including an elementary principal and educational consultant, came to visit and tour JPS. During their time here, they were able to meet staff, students and parents, observe classrooms, walk the halls and discover what a truly amazing place it is. The visit was a huge success and it left us with much anticipation for future plans. In the weeks to follow, possible student and teacher exchange opportunities started to take shape, including a summer camp in Beijing. A group of educators from Jenison would prepare to visit China to explore possible partnerships with various levels of education, and perform a site-visit in preparation for an elementary team to return.



In early June, Tom TenBrink, Steve Uganski, Krista Osterberg and myself arrived in Beijing to find an incredible culture filled with rich history and humbling hospitality. As our visit to a university, two high schools and an elementary school concluded, educational partnerships were forged. Fengtai 1st Elementary school, located in the Fengtai District of Beijing, became a sister school of JPS.



To kick off a series of educational offerings between Fengtai 1st and JPS, a team of Jenison teachers are on their way to Beijing to conduct the Fine Arts Summer Camp. Team members include: Tobi Hoeker, Jennifer Tolson, Emily Derusha, Grant Carmichael and Crystal Morse. It is safe to say that this is just the beginning of many incredible experiences yet to come. Who would have imagined…



Guest Blog for Emily Derusha,



Rebekah Redmer, Director of JIA

Advertisement



Tot: 0.098s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0594s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb