New York @ Christmas (Day 2)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Worcester
December 17th 2010
Published: January 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

NYC, New York Stock Exchange, 11 Wall Street, Dec17 2010 (44)NYC, New York Stock Exchange, 11 Wall Street, Dec17 2010 (44)NYC, New York Stock Exchange, 11 Wall Street, Dec17 2010 (44)

The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) is a stock exchange located at 11 Wall Street in lower Manhattan, New York City, USA. It is the world's largest stock exchange by market capitalization of its listed companies at US$11.92 trillion as of Aug 2010 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Stock_Exchange
Today I subscribed for a free walking tour in New York City. I had to be on the corner of Broad st and Wall St @ 10:00 am beside G. Washington Statue for a 6-hours visit of New York City. It's a All-in-One tour that covered following sites:
•Wall Street
•Financial District
•World Trade Center
•Greenwich Village
•Washington Square Park
•SoHo's Cast Iron Distric
•Little Italy
•Chinatown
http://nycbyfoot.com/default.asp

Our guide was really nice and he told us a lot of stories about history, monuments, architecture, culture,...
You can follow my trip with following interesting information:

Stop 1: Wall Street & Broad Street Federal Hall with G. Washington Statue
New York Stock exchange on the corner of Wall St. & Broad St.
40 Wall St: Trump Building
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wall_Street

Stop 2: Trinity Church
Trinity Church (also known as Trinity Wall Street) at 79 Broadway, New York City, is a historic, full-service parish church in the Episcopal Diocese of New York. Trinity Church is located at the intersection of Wall Street and Broadway in downtown Manhattan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trinity_Church_(New_York_City)

Stop 3: WTC & St. Paul's Chapel
One World Trade Center, nicknamed formerly as the Freedom Tower is the main building of the
NYC, Trump Bldg, 40 Wall Street, Trump Building, Dec17 2010 (43)NYC, Trump Bldg, 40 Wall Street, Trump Building, Dec17 2010 (43)NYC, Trump Bldg, 40 Wall Street, Trump Building, Dec17 2010 (43)

40 Wall Street is a 70-story skyscraper located in New York City. Originally known as the Bank of Manhattan Trust building,[2] and also known as Manhattan Company Building,[1] it was later known by its street address when its founding tenant merged to form the Chase Manhattan Bank and today is known as the Trump Building.[3] The building, located between Nassau Street and William Street in Manhattan, New York City, was completed in 1930 after only 11 months of construction. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/40_Wall_Street
new World Trade Center complex in Lower Manhattan in New York City, New York. The tower will be located in the northwest corner of the 16-acre (65,000 m²) World Trade Center site bounded by Vesey, West, Washington and Fulton streets. Upon completion, One World Trade Center will be the tallest building in the United States, standing at a height of 1,776 feet (541.32 m), and among the tallest buildings in the world.
Along with One World Trade Center, the new World Trade Center site will feature three other high-rise office buildings along Greenwich Street and the National September 11 Memorial & Museum. The construction is part of an effort to memorialize and rebuild after the original World Trade Center complex was destroyed during the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_World_Trade_Center

St. Paul's Chapel, is an Episcopal chapel located at 209 Broadway, between Fulton and Vesey Streets, in lower Manhattan in New York City. It is the oldest surviving church building in Manhattan.
The rear of St. Paul's Chapel faces Church Street, opposite the east side of the World Trade Center site. After the attack on September 11, 2001, which led to the collapse of the twin towers of the World Trade Center, St. Paul's Chapel served as a place of rest and refuge for recovery workers at the WTC site.
The church survived without even a broken window. Church history declares it was spared by a miracle sycamore on the northwest corner of the property that was hit by debris.
For eight months, hundreds of volunteers worked 12 hour shifts around the clock, serving meals, making beds, counseling and praying with fire fighters, construction workers, police and others. Massage therapists, chiropractors, podiatrists and musicians also tended to their needs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Paul's_Chapel

Stop 4: Woolworth Building
The Woolworth Building, at 57 stories, is one of the oldest—and one of the most famous—skyscrapers in New York City. More than 95 years after its construction, it is still one of the fifty tallest buildings in the United States as well as one of the twenty tallest buildings in New York City. The building is a National Historic Landmark, having been listed in 1966.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworth_Building

Discovering Greenwich Village



Stop 5: Café Wha? in Greenwich Village
The Café Wha? was the original stomping ground for prodigies Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix. Bruce Springsteen, Peter, Paul & Mary, Kool and the Gang, as well as comedians, Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby also began their road to stardom on this historic stage.
http://www.cafewha.com/about/history

Stop 6: Fire Station in Greenwich Village
Anderson Cooper has bought a $4.3 million firehouse in New York's Greenwich Village, the New York Post reports.

The CNN anchor's new 8,240 square feet home at 84 West Third Street between Sullivan and Thompson Streets — which he purchased in September — boasts "its original spiral staircases, brass fire poles, overhead beams used to dry hoses and walls covered with murals marking the fire patrol's history" as well as a "bust of Mercury, the Roman god of speed, atop the firehouse's main door."

Cooper isn't the only celebrity to take up a converted residence in the neighborhood: Jude Law lived in a converted church just one block away on West 4th Street while performing on Broadway last year. Vogue editor Anna Wintour lives a block and a half down on Sullivan.

Cooper currently lives in a duplex penthouse on West 38th Street.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/27/anderson-coopers-firehous_n_438758.html

Stop 7: Washington Square Park
Located at the foot of Fifth Avenue, the park is bordered by Washington Square North (Waverly Place east and west of the park), Washington Square East (University Place north of the park), Washington Square South (West 4th Street east and west of the park), and Washington Square West (MacDougal Street north and south of the park).

While the Park contains many flower beds and trees, little of the park is used for plantings due to the paving. The two prominent features are Washington's Arch and a large fountain. It includes children's play areas, trees and gardens, paths to stroll on, a chess and scrabble playing area, park benches, picnic tables, commemorative statuary and two dog runs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Square_Park

Stop 8: Gay Street

Stop 9: 75 1/2 Bedford St.
The skinniest house in New York City is on the market for a fat price.

The 9-1/2-feet-wide townhouse at 75-1/2 Bedford St. in the West Village was put up for sale this week for an asking price of $2.75 million, or $2,777 a square foot.

Built in 1873, the diminutive house is squeezed between 75 and 77 Bedford St. and has been home to a who's-who list of luminaries, including anthropologist Margaret Mead and Pulitzer Prize-winning poet Edna St. Vincent Millay.

Author Ann McGovern lived there briefly and the red-brick house inspired her to co-write the novel "Mr. Skinner's Skinny House."

Corcoran's Web site claims that actors Cary Grant and John Barrymore also once called the thin house home.

The interior of the house is only 8-1/2-feet wide and 42-feet long and has a trapdoor in the kitchen floor that leads to a finished basement.
http://www.nydailynews.com/real_estate/2009/08/26/2009-08-26_skinniest_house_in_new_york_city_will_cost_you_fat_price_of275_million.html

Stop 10: Cherry Lane Theatre
A landmark in Greenwich Village's cultural landscape, Cherry Lane Theatre serves as a lab for the development of new American works. As New York's oldest, continuously running Off-Broadway theatre, the Cherry Lane has helped to define American drama, fostering theater that is fresh, daring, and relevant, for over 80 years.

CHERRY LANE THEATRE at 38 Commerce Street was originally the site of a silo on the Gomez Farm in 1817. The building that now stands was erected in 1836 as a brewery, and later served as a tobacco warehouse and eventually box factory.

Playhouse productions featured an equally illustrious group of actors and directors, including John Malkovich, Barbra Streisand, Geraldine Fitzgerald, James Earl Jones, Tony Curtis, Ruby Dee, Gene Hackman,...
http://www.cherrylanetheatre.org/history.php?page=history

Stop 11: 102 Bedford St.
An 1830
NYC, Woolworth Building, Dec17 2010 (46)NYC, Woolworth Building, Dec17 2010 (46)NYC, Woolworth Building, Dec17 2010 (46)

It remained the tallest building in the world until the construction of 40 Wall Street and the Chrysler Building in 1930; an observation deck on the 57th floor attracted visitors until 1945.
townhouse was renovated beyond remembering in 1925 by Clifford Daily with help from financier Otto Kahn. Daily, an amateur architect, considered the surrounding buildings mundane and wanted to liven things up. But Kahn took over the building and offered Daily $5000 to clear out. Daily reluctantly agreed, but vowed to someday return. The story goes that he plunged two bottles of champagne in wet cement in the basement and said he would break them out when he returned to Twin Peaks. The bottles are still waiting.
http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%!S(MISSING)CENES/village/greenwich.html

Stop 12: 90 Bedford St.: 'Friends Central Perk'
The building in the exterior shot of Chandler, Joey, Rachel, and Monica's apartment building is at the corner of Grove and Bedford Streets in the West Village. One of the show' working titles was Once Upon a Time in the West Village.

Welcome in SoHo


SoHo is a neighborhood in the Manhattan borough of New York City
In the mid-20th century, artists began to move in to have large spaces in which they could both live and work, in what were called loft spaces. In 1968 artists and activists were forming an organization to legalize their living in a manufacturing zone. Seeking to identify their group geographically, they consulted a city Planning Commission map that described the area as "South of Houston", "Houston" being Houston Street. This was shortened to "SoHo", the group voted to call itself the SoHo Artists Association and the name for the neighborhood stuck.
It is also known as the SoHo-Cast Iron Historic District because of the many buildings incorporating cast iron architectural elements.
Cast iron columns enabled architects to build tall buildings without the enormously thick walls required to construct masonry buildings of any height. Such flexibility allowed tall buildings to have large windows. In urban centres like SoHo Cast Iron Historic District in New York City, manufacturing buildings and early department stores were built with cast iron columns to allow daylight to enter. Slender cast iron columns could also support the weight that would otherwise require thick masonry columns or piers, opening up floor spaces in factories, and sight lines in churches and auditoriums.

Stop 13: 421 Broome St. in SoHo
Cross with Lafayette St. and Crosby St. this apartment was rented by Heath Ledger for $23.000 a month.

Stop 14: 240 Centre St., The Police Building
Smack in the middle of Little Italy's tenements is this spectacular Baroque-revival-style palace.

Almost more incongruous, this ornate structure was built as the headquarters of the city's Police Department. It was designed by Hoppin & Koen in 1909, when architects and planners were still under the influence of the image of the "White City," the Beaux Arts inspired notion of a beautiful city that had been highlighted at the World's Colombian Exposition in Chicago in 1893.

At the time of its construction, the city still nurtured the idea of developing a magnificent new city government complex in the City Hall area and this was one of the fruits.

The building's dome harkens to the great cupola of the Hotel des Invalides in Paris, albeit not quite so ornate. But its wedge-shape at the north end where it has its own fenced park also evokes memories of Venice and its great promontory buildings.

In 1973, the city opened a new headquarters for the Police Department, a huge modernistic, red brick box to the east of the Municipal Building, and this building fell into limbo after many years of neglect.
http://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/manhattan/the-police-building-240-centre-street/7564


Stop 15: Night Court in Chinatown
Every night, from 5:30 p.m. to 1 a.m., night court is in session at 100 Center Street near Chinatown. Open to the public, the court is always filled with sad and strange cases—and defendants who run the gamut from turn-style jumpers to murderers. Once they have been arrested, the city has 24 hours to arraign them or set or deny bail, which is what happens at night court.

Stop 16: Central Station and the Metlife
Grand Central Terminal (GCT) — often incorrectly called Grand Central Station, or shortened to simply Grand Central — is a terminal station at 42nd Street and Park Avenue in Midtown Manhattan in New York City, United States. Built by and named for the New York Central Railroad in the heyday of American long-distance passenger trains, it is the largest train station in the world by number of platforms: 44, with 67 tracks along them. They are on two levels, both below ground, with 41 tracks on the upper level and 26 on the lower, though the total number of tracks along platforms and in rail yards exceeds 100. When the Long Island Rail Road's new station, below the existing levels, opens (see East Side Access), Grand Central will offer a total
NYC, Washington Sq., Dec17 2010NYC, Washington Sq., Dec17 2010NYC, Washington Sq., Dec17 2010

Washington Square Park is one of the best-known of New York City's 1,900 public parks. At 9.75 acres (39,500 m2), it is a landmark in the Manhattan neighborhood of Greenwich Village, as well as a meeting place and center for cultural activity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Square_Park
of 75 tracks and 48 platforms. The terminal covers an area of 48 acres (19 ha).

The MetLife Building (formerly Pan Am Building) was the largest commercial office building in the world when it opened on March 7, 1963. It is a recognizable part of the Manhattan skyline and one of the fifty tallest buildings in the United States.

Stop 17:Waldorf-Astoria Hotel
An Astor family feud contributed to the events which led to the construction of the original Waldorf-Astoria on Fifth Avenue.

It started as two hotels: one owned by William Waldorf Astor, whose 13-story Waldorf Hotel was opened in 1893 and the other owned by his cousin, John Jacob Astor IV, called the Astoria Hotel and opened four years later in 1897, four stories higher.

William Astor, motivated in part by a dispute with his aunt, Caroline Webster Schermerhorn Astor, built the original Waldorf Hotel next door to her house
William Astor's construction of a hotel next to his aunt's house worsened his feud with her, but John Astor persuaded his aunt to move uptown. John Astor then built the Astoria Hotel.
The hotels were initially built as two separate structures, but the Astoria could be connected to the Waldorf by Peacock Alley. The combined Waldorf-Astoria became the largest hotel in the world at the time, while maintaining the original Waldorf's high standards.

The hotel has its own railway platform as part of Grand Central Terminal, used by Franklin D. Roosevelt, James Farley, Adlai Stevenson, and Douglas MacArthur, among others. An elevator large enough for Franklin D. Roosevelt's automobile provides access to the platform.[


Additional photos below
Photos: 61, Displayed: 31


Advertisement

NYC, Gay Street, Dec17 2010 (53)NYC, Gay Street, Dec17 2010 (53)
NYC, Gay Street, Dec17 2010 (53)

Gay Street, a short street that marks off one block of Greenwich Village in the New York City borough of Manhattan. This this is also one of the only that are not going straight in New York.
NYC, 75 1/2 Bedford St., Dec17 2010 (54)NYC, 75 1/2 Bedford St., Dec17 2010 (54)
NYC, 75 1/2 Bedford St., Dec17 2010 (54)

the 'Narrowest', 'Skinniest' house in New York City,
NYC, Cherry Line Theatre, Dec17 2010NYC, Cherry Line Theatre, Dec17 2010
NYC, Cherry Line Theatre, Dec17 2010

The Cherry Lane Theatre (CLT), located at 38 Commerce Street in the borough of Manhattan, was New York City's oldest, continuously running off-Broadway theater.
NYC, M. Big appartment, Dec17 2010 (58)NYC, M. Big appartment, Dec17 2010 (58)
NYC, M. Big appartment, Dec17 2010 (58)

Few Soho loft apartments offer their owners as much history, stunning architecture, and financial advatanges as the Gunther Building. Located on the southwest corner of 469 Broome and 55 Greene Streets, this beautiful cast-iron building is more than 135 years old. New York City records show that loft apartments here also have an address 471 Broome Street. The ground floor is occupied by a commercial tenant, with another five floors of coop apartments located above.


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb