Day 19 - Boston/New York


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Massachusetts » Boston
February 10th 2012
Published: February 11th 2012
Edit Blog Post

After a great day yesterday we didn't have much planned until our 3pm flight and so I thought I'd try and push my luck and ask Lauren if we could go back to the TD Garden as I thought there was a sports museum there. We've seen plenty of shops and shows so a little sports museum wouldn't hurt!

It was the New England (Boston) sports museum and it was fantastic. Heaps of memorabilia and great photos from over the years of the Celtics, Bruins, Patriots and Red Sox. We were also lucky because while we were there, the Boston Bruins Ice Hockey team were training on the rink that was a basketball court just the night before. I asked the lady how long it actually took to transform and she said their absolute minimum time is 2.5 hours. And while they have Ice Hockey and Basketball almost every night, they have also managed to schedule in a series of Disney On Ice over the next month, those workers will be getting a lot of overtime.

We were allowed to sit in and watch some of their practice and even though we were up in the stands, you immediately realise how cold it is with the ice compared to the basketball. You would definitely need a jacket if you were there for a whole game.

After the tour which took about an hour and was only $5 each, we walked back to the shopping precinct and had a look around. They have a great food court, almost similar to the Wednesday Night markets at Queen Vic with all the different food from around the world. Friday was also fresh food market day and it all looked so fresh and so cheap. Grapes at $2.00 a kilo, you need to add a one at the front if you were back at home.

The food we had was good and then we stopped off at this dessert place which Lauren had spotted the night before. Anything they could think of that was sweet was in there. We settled on some chocolate covered strawberries, maybe that is the first sign of us getting homesick as mum always makes them, or maybe it just means we both love them!

Speaking of feeling homesick, we were actually asking each other what we were missing from home so far, Lauren answered coffee, and I said nothing... Looks like we'll get through the five weeks pretty easily! (Yes we are missing you all but still having plenty of fun)

Arrived back at JFK airport and then took a taxi to our new hotel, the Hilton in the Fashion District, which is about 20 blocks from Times Square, or about 1 mile.

We didn't have much to do until our dinner reservation and as has been the case lately, we were both a bit tired so we rested up and then headed to Tao. Tao is a famous restaurant within New York, not only for its food but also for the room itself. When you walk in it is very dark but there are people everywhere, the lounge area was packed and then the restaurant was even busier, luckily Lauren booked. There is a giant buddha sitting at the back that goes from floor to ceiling and is a main part of the room. As for the food, it was brilliant and you can easily tell why it has such a high reputation around the world.

We headed back to the hotel and it didn't take long for us to get tired and ready for bed. We've written a list of what we still want to do over the next three days so tomorrow we'll be looking at a few shopping areas, Katz Deli, the Magnolia Bakery which is famous in Sex and the City and a few other things.

Had a great time in Boston and it's also good to be back in New York. The hotel is nice but you get the feeling that the Hilton is no longer as big and powerful as they were when we were growing up.

Still not able to post photos, but we have heaps to bore you with when we get back!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb