Sports Night in Baltimore


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maryland » Baltimore
September 8th 2007
Published: September 14th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Church SignChurch SignChurch Sign

Sign in front of a church near Camden Yards. Love it!
After seeing some of Baltimore's historical sites and after having sweated for a time in the hot and humid weather, decided it was time to visit some nice air conditioned museums for awhile. First up was the Sports Legend Museum located next to Camden Yards. The Museum focuses mainly on Maryland professional and college sports. Most popular are the exhibits for the Orioles and Colts/Ravens. Cal Ripken has his own section with several photos taken during his career including some candids with his family. That was probably my fave. The Museum is very well put together. As luck would have it, the daughter of Babe Ruth was there signing autographs.

After the Sports Museum, I headed the few block to the Babe Ruth Birthplace and Museum. That Museum is located in Babe's childhood home and has lots of Babe related memorabilia.

On the short walk to the Sports Museum from the Inner Harbor, I passed a sign (photo up top) in front of a church located very near Camden Yards. As a Yankee hater, I LOVED it. I'm also a fan of the Sox when they aren't playing my O's.

Game Time...O's win! It was looking like it
O's Hall of Fame AreaO's Hall of Fame AreaO's Hall of Fame Area

Where they have the retired numbers (Cal's #8 being one)
was going to be rough game when the Red Sox jumped out to a 4-1 lead in the 2nd but the O's came back to win 11-5. Yeah, it's been another dismal year for my O's but they looked great this day so we take what we can get. Camden is really a wonderful place to enjoy a baseball game. So fan friendly with plenty of good food and one of the best ballparks there is. There was a grand slam by the O's and a few other homeruns as well as some great defensive plays. It ended up being a beautiful night for a game. They said the temp was 90 degrees at game time but it felt pretty comfortable.

Tomorrow...off to Annapolis and a tour of the US Naval Academy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Camden YardsCamden Yards
Camden Yards

One of the best baseball parks.
Cal Ripken area in MuseumCal Ripken area in Museum
Cal Ripken area in Museum

Lots of Cal related stuff, he has his own section :)
Babe Ruth's DaughterBabe Ruth's Daughter
Babe Ruth's Daughter

She was at the Museum signing autographs.


19th September 2007

I toatlly love the church sign...thought the people getting babe ruths daughter's autograph is a little wierd (does she play baseball :))...unless you got one then it is totally cool! :)
21st September 2007

Ha!
I didn't get her autograph but can understand why folks would want to. Babe's a legend. I'm going to enlarge a picture of that church sign and hang! By the way...I deleted your other comment because it revealed too much information.

Tot: 0.181s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 17; qc: 105; dbt: 0.137s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb