Acadia National Park


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Maine » Southwest Harbour
October 13th 2006
Published: October 14th 2006
Edit Blog Post

The cloudless skies returned today and with very clear viability we had a magnificent time introducing ourselves to the Acadia National Park. The park was denoted to the nation by several rich families including the Rockefellers. It has a glaciated coastline including one of only two fiords on the east coast of America and several hills of over 1000’ with bare granite summits poking through the trees. The autumn tree colours were probably the best we have seen on the trip.

In the morning we took a ferry trip which visited two of the outlying islands both of which seem to be millionaire hideaways. The views of the Mount Desert Island hills were great.

The afternoon was spent driving around a loop road in the park guided by an audio cd, which made an amazingly scenic, coastal and hill drive all the more informative and rewarding. On a few short walks we saw cormorants diving for fish, a lovely sandy beach, waves crashing against a blowhole and views from the highest peak, Cadillac Mountain.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0471s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb