Road Trip to New Orleans


Advertisement
Published: June 9th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Dalhart to New Orleans


Fort Worth TexasFort Worth TexasFort Worth Texas

Just 100 deg F and smiling
Have added in the rest of the trip to New Orleans.

We took the Southern route to New Oreans through the the Missippi River Delta (have a look at the map). We got into a thunderstorm where I had to pull over because the rain was so heavy that I couldn't see anything. Went to a a town called Franklyn (Photos of some of the houses included).
Arrived in Morgan City where the freeway goes straight over the "city". Everything is called a city. I live in the "City of Dalhart" where 7,600 people live. Anyway Morgan City should be under water except that a levi keeps the Missippi back. The river is aoorox. 12 feet above normal (3.5m). I have attached some photos for you to see. The we rove on a freeway that goes through miles of swamp or "Bayou".
I really wouldn't want to drive off the motor way and land into the bayou. I'm sure you would get eaten!
Driving on these freeways is exciting especially when you get into a city. Roads for Africa. Well you guessed it we to wrong turns all the timeand saw parts of the country we hadn't expected. All part
Peter In Fort WorthPeter In Fort WorthPeter In Fort Worth

sinking into the Water gardens
of the adventure.

Since Monday lunchtime we have driven over a 1,000 miles and have only just left the state of Texas. have a look at the map attached. After delivering a 2 Poling trucks to the truck doctor (an adventure in itself) we drove to Whichita falls, dropped our bags and went for a beer. Well that was the start of a great night where we got chattig to a couple of guys at the bar. Ryan owns his own catering company and Brady is a golf pro. The bar closed and we went somewhere else where e had a few more drinks and met some more fun people. Brittney is a senior manager for KPMG in dallas and is set to travel to Brisbane to work. Laura is a massage Therapist who is considering buying her own business. It was 2.00am before we found our hotel room and then seemed to loose a bit of Tuesday morning..

Drove to Fort Worth and had a great ook around the Inner City, then went to The Stockyards to see these cattle walk up the steet.

There are 3 and 4 lane highways going everywhere with spagetti junctions
Warning SignWarning SignWarning Sign

Yippie, we have timed our trip just right!!!
3 and 4 levels high. Well as you can imagine we sometimes take a wrong turn and then it takes us ages to go around and get back on track.

Drove through Dallas and arrived in Downtown Houston just as the ball game was finishing (baseball). Tried to find a hotel room but all too dear.

Wednesday drove to Galverston and put our feet in the sea. Haven't seen or smelt the sea in ages. Caught a ferry onto the Boliva Peninsula so we could continue our journey onto Louisiana. Check out the photos of the Pelicans. That was amazing. STILL IN TEXAS! That's the equivalent of driving the length of New Zealand.

It's GREEN here!!! No dust and you can't see the horizon either. Went and had a great Cajun meal at a place called Prejanes, http://www.prejeans.com/ .

Ate Alligator, Shrimp something, Dirty Rice plus plus plus. Yum! have a look at the site.

Off to New Orleans now. Looking forward to the air con in the car!


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

We're being watchedWe're being watched
We're being watched

A Squirel keeping a close eye on us as he darted about the waterpark.
Houston by nightHouston by night
Houston by night

Spectacularly quiet in the Downtown at 10 pm
Morgan CityMorgan City
Morgan City

Look at how close to the bridge the water is
The Missippi in flood.The Missippi in flood.
The Missippi in flood.

We sign out of frame read, "No parking on the wharf in the foreground"
Morgan CityMorgan City
Morgan City

This town should be under water. About 12 feet is the difference from left to right.


10th June 2011

Sounds like you are having a fantastic time.Continue to enjoy...you deserve it.Cheers,Gunnee.

Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.0725s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb