Days at the Races


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Lots to do and lots to see! We began with the Muhammad Ali Center- a museum that tells the story of a fighter, activist and charity volunteer. The films and exhibits show his life as a fighter, his media speeches and his charity work. You can even watch old films of some of his memorable fights. The show him taunting his opponents in the media and his victory dance after a knockout.



We went to the Oaks, the big race before the Derby wearing pink-the signature color of the race. The official flower is a lily and they even have a drink named one! It comes in a souvenir glass, but don’t try to bring any glass to the track THAT, they take away .



We signed up for the Urban Bourbon Trail with a passport full of participating resturants that will stamp your passport if you visit. It gave us a chance to see some of the historic hotels and places with menus of bourbons. We saw the Galt house, the official Derby hotel, the Seelbach and the Brown Hotel that’s looks right out of a history book. We completed the trail and cashed in for our Bourbon Trail t-shirts.



Derby Day began with a lot of hurry up and wait but we set up shop close to the starting gate and could see the horses , a little. Infield doesn’t give you the privilege of a screen but we saw a lot more than most .

On a tip from a guy in a seersucker suit I put a bet on the winning horse but my tiny bets don’t get big winnings. Ah ...but the thrill of it all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb