April 26--Entering Kansas


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas
May 2nd 2011
Published: May 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Cloudy and grey. We crossed into Kansas and after seeing the Lone Elm campground in Olathe, which was the first stopping point for most travelers, and headed to Gardner where the trails split. We continued following the Santa Fe Trail as the other two cut across land at an angle that did not parallel any roads. We gassed up at Baldwin. This community was the site of the battle of Black Jack which was between the free state and the slave state people and was widely reported in the newspapers which added fuel to the Civil War’s start.

Drove until west of Topeka, KS where we stayed in the tiny town of Paxico at funky Mill Creek Campground, a private campground off Interstate 70. As you can see from the pictures, the walls of their out buildings were covered with hubcaps, tin signs, and other things that looked like farm implement pieces. Since it had an electrical hook-up everything could be charged without running the generator. The town of Paxico was really an antiquer's paradise--90%!o(MISSING)f the buildings seemed devoted to memorabilia.

Saw a lot of oil well grasshoppers on the way. Didn’t realize Kansas had oil. Fields of wheat, cattle, and farms in this area.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb