Christmas in Kansas City


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Kansas City
December 2nd 2011
Published: December 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

The holidays always bring a flurry of activity to Kansas City. The colder weather does not seem to slow anyone down as they journey to The Plaza to witness the annual Christmas lights being turned on, or the lighting of the Mayor’s Christmas tree. There are theatrical shows, such as “A Spectacular Christmas Concert” and “The Salvation of Iggy Scrooge.”

On Friday, November 25, The Mayor’s Christmas Tree was lit up by R & B great Janelle Monae and Mayor Sly James. More than 7,200 white lights create a classy representation of the holidays. The tree stands at an immense 100 feet, which makes it taller than the Rockefeller Center tree. Once the holidays are over, the tree is cut into commemorative ornaments that are sold to raise money for Kansas City’s less fortunate.

The Plaza Lights have been a staple of the Christmas holiday for about a century. It started as a single strand of lights of the door of a shop. Now it draws one of the largest crowds of the year as the 80 miles of wires and lights are lit up on the evening of Thanksgiving. It takes approximately 280,000 bulbs that are strung by a 4-man crew starting after Labor Day to produce the breath-taking lighting of The Plaza.

As is tradition in so many place, “The Nutcracker” is another annual staple in Kansas City. Presented by the Kansas City Ballet, it stars two hundred children, students of the Kansas City Ballet, alongside twenty five Kansas City Ballet dancers. This is also the first year for the show to be performed in the Kaufman Center for the Performing Arts. “The Nutcracker” was originally started in Kansas City by Tatiana Dokoudovska in 1972.

The holidays are always a time for people to come out and enjoy what the city has to offer.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0454s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb