Rotary's Travel and Hosting Fellowship


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Garfield
February 4th 2007
Published: February 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Rotary International has over a hundred fellowships. Just about every thing from golf, flying or any special interest. One that I belong to is the International Travel and Hosting Fellowship.
If you like to travel and meet people this is the fellowship for you. I joined this fellowship years ago. Most people see Kansas as a place to drive through or fly over. Actually, we have a lot to see. Within an 1:30 of driving time from my home you can see Dodge City's boot hill, Fort Larned (the only intact Indian fort west of the Missisippi), Santa Fe Trail Museum (the official museum of the Santa Fe Trail), Central States Scout Musuem and Hutchinson's Cosmophere. Two hours away is Wichita which has about everything you want but especially the Museum of World Treasures in old town.

I belong to the fellowship because it is like a big family. You can literally travel all over the world and most of the time if you wish find a host family.

I recently had a great weekend hosting a Rotarian from Dallas Texas and his wife. Gilbert Brown is a past district governor in the Centenial Class(2005-06). Gilbert and his lovely wife Linda stopped by while they were driving through to Colorado for a little sking.

I invited a neighbor Keven Peterson, his wife Becky and daughter Sara to join us for dinner. I believe Gilbert enjoyed talking to Kevin about farming. We all enjoyed Sara. Sara is a sophmore in Larned High School. She is a straight "A" student and a student of Spanish. The Brown's are studying Spanish so Sara did a little communicating in Spanish.

I also invite Anita Graves a Rotarian from Larned. She was interested in seeing my Vietnam Biking Program.

After a dinner of:

Homemade Tomato Soup
Fillet of Beef Bourguignonne
Zucchini Gratin
Plum Tart
Key Lime Pie
Rotary Cake

We adjourned to the living room for my "Biking Vietnam" show. I think we had a great evening of great fellowship, food and the delightful Sara.

Gilbert and Linda left the next morning for Colorado and the ski slopes.




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0628s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb