Day Tripping


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Fort Scott
December 15th 2010
Published: December 15th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Almost all the financial forecasters are saying the same thing. Baby boomers are going to continue to work well into their 70’s. There are two big implications to that statistic. One is boomers will be able to satisfy their urges to travel, thanks in part to paid vacation time. And, the flip side of that is that boomers will NEED to travel more to help them cope with the stressors of working in an environment rife with youthful energy. That’s where day trips can be a great help.

I have not been a huge fan of day trips in my past… hardly seemed worth the effort. If travelers were categorized, I would definitely find myself under the heading of “planner.” But, a few years ago, I decided I needed to get away from everything, if only for the weekend, and made the drive to Ft. Scott, Kansas. Other than a reservation for a night’s accommodation, I decided to go against my normal nature, be spontaneous and just let the trip unfold.

Originally serving as protection for settlers at the boundary of Indian Territory, Ft. Smith is located on what was once called Military Road, part of the chain of nine forts which stretched from Minnesota to Louisiana. It was historically significant in the Civil War, serving as a training ground for Union troops during the time referred to as “Bleeding Kansas,” when Kansas and Missouri residents waged a war within a war as abolitionist state vs. pro-slavery state. At one time, Ft. Scott rivaled Kansas City as a major railroad hub. Now, it is a peaceful community of Victorian and antebellum-era houses where quaint trolley cars carry visitors on tours through the older sections of the city.

A few of the old mansions now serve as lovely bed and breakfasts, a couple of which are the Lyons Twin Mansions. These beautiful Victorian homes are identical structures which have maintained their original architecture. They offer beautifully ornate interiors reminiscent of late 19th century, including antique claw footed tubs converted into whirlpool baths, yet have all the modern conveniences, such as high-speed Internet, plasma TV, and cable. The proprietress, Miss Pat, starts her guests’ day off with a hearty full breakfast at an antique dining table laid with fine china and silver.

The actual fort is now a part of the National Park Service. There are guided tours, but guests are encouraged to explore on their own. What I was surprised to learn was that Ft. Scott also has one of the 14 National Cemeteries designated by President Lincoln in 1862. Military honor burials are still performed there by the Kansas National Guard. There are two special memorials, one for unidentified WWII flight crews and one for veterans whose remains have never been recovered.

The downtown Ft. Scott shopping district has shops housed in outstanding Victorian architecture, where visitors can find unique gifts and antiques. A bonus for me was finding El Charro, a privately owned restaurant where I enjoyed some of the best Mexican food I’ve ever eaten.

Day trips are the perfect respite from a hectic work week, because they don’t require a lot of planning and usually offer up nice surprises. So, get out and go!


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0407s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb