4/25/2012 - Dodge City, KS - Big Well - Coffeyville, KS - Oswego, KS


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Kansas » Coffeyville
April 25th 2012
Published: April 27th 2012
Edit Blog Post

4/25/2012 - Got woke up early today with the news that Dakota, our granddaughter; had broken her arm while playing volleyball.

Filled up with propane and gasoline before leaving Dodge City, KS. Stopped in Greensburg, KS to see the "Big Well", the largest hand dug well in the USA. The well was closed for viewing due to construction around the well. Will re-open on May 26th.

Continued on to Coffeyville, KS. This is the hometown of the Daltons. Also was the town where the gang attempted to rob two banks at the same time. This did not work out to well for the Dalton Gang due to one of the banks having a timelock on the safe. The ten minute delay waiting on the timelock allowed the townspeople to realize what was happening, gather together, get armed, and be waiting on the gang when they exited the bank. The gang was wiped out and four townspeople died in the gunbattle which followed. The museum was just closing when we arrived, but got a quick look inside, then walked the path of the robbery and gunbattle. Was interesting how this played out. The lady at one of the banks involved informed us why the Big Well was closed. A tornado wiped out the building around the well and another was being constructed.

Arrived at Oswego, KS with a little concern about what we would find at the rv park. Was very pleasantly surprised, the Hillside RV Park was very, very nice and extremely well maintained. Richard, the park owner and host was very nice, easy going and a breath of fresh air. When checking in he offered roses off his rose bushes for the ladies and onions from his garden. Did not accept either as the rose bushes were gorgeous and Aleta had already cooked supper of rump roast with gravy, onions, and carrots. Finished that meal out with rice, corn, biscuits, and sliced tomatoes. Was DELICIOUS!!!! Who says you can't have a homecooked meal while on the road?? Played marbles and had Klondike bars for dessert.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb