The Trip West


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Iowa
May 22nd 2007
Published: May 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

We started our trip by spending the weekend at Sauder Village near Archibald, Ohio. We had lots of fun with our camping club. George golfed and I went to a quilt shop with other women who are interested or passionate about quilting. Of course the weekend involved good food and lots of conversation. Various club members have been to Alaska in the past and were happy to share their knowledge with us. George took notes to add to the ones he already has. There is something new each time we talk to people, as each experience is different.

Monday we drove to western Illinois and camped at The Hennepin Canal Parkway State Park. It wasn’t very clear that we were actually in an area we could camp in, as it was marked Equestrian Camping. The ranger was there working on the area, so we were able to clarify with him where to camp. It was a great place to camp as we the only ones there. It was quiet and peaceful. There is a bike path along the canal. I am always surprised at the canal system that connects rivers and had been built to transport goods, but has been obsolete for a long time.

Tuesday was a windy day for driving. We’ve been heading west on I-80 and had to stop at The I-80 Truck Stop near Walcott, Iowa. George had seen a list on The Travel Channel that listed the 10 best truck stops and this was one of them. It’s supposed to be the largest truck stop. It was certainly busy and had lots of facilities and merchandise.
We camped in Adair, Iowa at the city park. It was a big contrast to the previous night’s campground. It was a busy park with lots going on until dark. There was a big turn out for a girl’s softball game, families having picnics and children on the playground equipment. I was amazed at how busy the park was on a Monday night. We were one block from Main Street, so walked over there after dinner. Everything closes at 5 or 5:30, including the library. The grocery store does stay open until 7.

Right now it’s Wednesday and we’re at a rest area on I-29 heading north to South Dakota. There’s WiFi at some of the rest areas. It’s windy and now that we’re heading north we have a tail wind which is much more comfortable.

Advertisement



29th May 2007

Following your trip
Looking forward to going along with you on your travels to Alaska. Have a fun and safe journey. It was good to see you at Sauder.

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 15; qc: 74; dbt: 0.0989s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb