Airport time take two!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
April 4th 2014
Published: April 4th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Landed in Copenhagen with the sun shining and the weather pretty warm. The flight over was only 1hr 45mins. We were all sat separate on the plane with steph in 3a, me in 3d and Kerry in 5f. Me and Steph had some 'interesting' people sat next to us. Steph had the 'smelly sleeper' who spent the whole time asleep next to her but apparently stunk like a 'smelly man' and I had what shall be known as the 'black widow'. It was a woman dressed fully in black who proceeded to kick back take her shoes off and put her black tight coloured feet up the wall in front and the pulled a black shawl right over her face with the window shut. Err thanks I didn't want it open anyway! But apparently Chicago is her favourite city and she seemed to be some kind of doctor as she spent half the flight typing on a laptop writing a presentation about placentas and maternal woman. Kerry surprisingly had someone normal next to her which is weird cause she's normally the one who has a strange person next to her but as she spent the whole flight sleeping it matter anyway.
After landing we headed straight to the bar and ordered some holiday beer. The holiday has truly begun although we've found out it costs about £6.50 a pint!! Denmark is not cheap!!!!

So after spending some time chilling with a beer we wandered across to the gate after picking up a sandwich each and Kerry getting a hot dog from 'steffi's place' which steph found amusing (I predict a fb cover photo change shortly!) the flight was showing on the boards with a 20min delay, which we thought was no problem. However the next couple of hours consisted of a few updates from a check in lady basically saying there was a technical problem with the plane and that we were delayed with no estimated time of departure. I have to say her updates were some of the funniest I've heard purely based on the fact she absolutely told it how it was, I'm not sure whether this was her humour or whether things were lost in translation a little. We had an update advising she didn't know when we were taking off but it wouldn't be soon and it was useless us all sitting at the gate waiting, and that we were free to wander back to the departure lounge as we had all been deboarded. She then came back on later to say there was good news as the mechanic had identified the problem and she'd know in 15mins whether he could fix it if they could find a 'thing!' She explained that it was a problem with the de icer in the engine and that it was no problem if we were flying to Thailand etc as it was hot there and wouldn't be needed but as we were flying to Chicago it was cold there and we would need it. Although I'm not sure of the repercussions of the -50 degrees in the air with no de icer thingy working correctly. After about an hour of updates she proceeded to come back as promised for an update at 4.15 however then telling us she had no update but that it was indeed an update itself cracked a few smiles and giggles. Then she came on the tanoy to say that the part to fix couldn't be found and they were currently making a decision on whether to cancel the flight or to change aircraft and the proceeded to say bye as she was moving to another aircraft and wished us luck! At this point our first night in Chicago was slowly turning into a night out in Copenhagen as the next Chicago flights weren't until tomorrow! But we then had some good news to say they were switching aircraft and we were going to be off within the hour yay! So off we toddled to a new gate and were eventually checked in. Guess our bad luck moved on to the passengers due to fly to shanghai at 18.40 as turns out we've nicked their plane! Their last departure time was showing as delayed until 20.40 when we left, wonder if they'll source and change the part for them or just hope it holds out going to a warmer climate!

Nine hours later... Finally landed in Chicago, cleared customs and got taxi to the hotel in the end. We were planning on the train but it was 10.30pm by then and we were all very tired. It's now 11.15 and were checked in the hotel in bed watching a bit of good ol us tv. Currently been up for 25hours!! Tomorrow the adventure really begins. Ps Chicago really is the Windy City, especially when your on the 12th floor with windows that open (wtf!) and one with duct tape round it.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.152s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 64; dbt: 0.0925s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb