Despacio, Despacio.... A trip through several states of the USA ( and Mexico - sort of)


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Illinois » Chicago
November 25th 2012
Published: December 15th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 1 Chicago

We wake up in our apartment- 8E Randolph, 29th floor. It is right in The Loop in the downtown area; 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, laundry, kitchen and lounge, amazing views of Lake Michigan out to Navy Pier and of the city including the Willis Tower (was the Sears Tower). It is next to the Joffrey Ballet and almost on the corner of State St and we have views of the giant xmas tree and the German xmas market. We rented it 3 years ago and were really happy so got it again for about $300/night + cleaning - way better value than 2 hotel rooms.

Sunday Walk commences after breakfast- since our last visit a Walgreens Supermarket has opened up right next door so we stocked up on breakfast food, tea, milk, etc last night.All 4 of us venture out, it is about 3 blocks down to the waterfront, we get down to water level going down stairs under the freeway exit bridge. It is clear and crisp, about 1 C. Several homeless are asleep bundled up under layers of sleeping bags and mats, I don't know how they can survive.

Reaching the lake front we get onto the shared bike/walk path, it is 18 miles long in total and looks to be well utilised - lots of runners out. There is also a sculpture exhibition in place, like sculptures by the sea. Not sure how long it goes for. It has more than 50 exhibits, mostly from US sculptors but also a few international. First squirrel is sighted - cameras out!Geoff and Callum head back, Geoff has to get to the conference. Christine and I continue on for a few more hours. We cover about 10 km- a moderate Sunday walk. We pass by the Museum of Science and Industry, the Shedd Aquarium, and the Adler Planetarium. There's a massive crowd heading to the Chicago Bears match, lots of Bears merchandise, signs, police, etc. Pretty cool spectacle.

Recharge our batteries at "The Corner Bakery", try whoopie pies for the first time- not the last I suspect. Not a bad coffee then weave back to the apartment via a circuitous route (aka- slightly lost), but we get there.Hit the shops in the afternoon.

Dinner is at the History Museum, sponsored dinner. Guest speaker is interesting, he is an archaeological radiologist and presents case studies on the use of various imaging technique in determining the use, function and age of certain pieces.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.388s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 19; qc: 134; dbt: 0.2164s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb