4 Nights on Maui


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui
April 5th 2012
Published: April 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

our hotel at  Kaanapali, Mauiour hotel at  Kaanapali, Mauiour hotel at Kaanapali, Maui

on the grounds of the Royal Lahaina
We left the Big Island on Sunday, April 1st, and flew to the island of Maui. Although we only spent 4 nights on this lovely island, we had a great stay and did a lot in a very short time.

After picking up our rental car, we drove to the western coast of the island to a resort place called Ka'anapali. I had found a very good deal on expedia.com in a low building on the grounds of a big resort, the Royal Lahaina Hotel. Notice the beachfront view from our balcony! The beach was gorgeous and the water pristine and perfect for swimming. We had dinner one night in the harbor town of Lahaina, where there's a famous, huge banyan tree. We also saw the show of the luau at the Royal Lahaina. Our last two nights were spent in the town of Makawao, "up country", as the locals say. Driving there, we stopped along the shore at Ho'okipa Beach, which is "paradise" for surfers, windsurfers and kitesurfers. Later, at the end of the afternoon, we drove up to the crater of Haleakala, the high mountain (10,000 feet) that dominates the island. Then, the next day, we did the breathtaking drive along the eastern coast that leads to the town of Hana; after that, we continued along the southern coast, visited the "seven pools" of Ohe'o Gulch, saw where Charles Lindbergh was buried, drove on the Pi'lani Highway and arrived back in Makawao.

We're flying back to San Francisco today via Honolulu. It's been a thoroughly enchanting trip which I hope you've enjoyed following.


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



5th April 2012

cute picture you and Tom on road to Hana! Bises, Florence
5th April 2012

maui wowee
Hey Hilary! I just got back last night from Maui myself - including a stay in Hana and 5b nights in the Napili area. Moore notes to trade. Your outing sounds great!! stephen
7th April 2012

Beautiful photos!
As always... love hearing about and seeing your adventures... was surprised to see you in a jacket on the mountain when everything else looked hot and sunny....didn't expect such a big difference in temperatures, but you were prepared! Looks like the whole Hawaii stay was just perfect! Happy Spring! Happy Easter!
13th April 2012

Dramatic photos. Thanks for posting
Glad you enjoyed Maui. You were smart to take a jacket to Haleakala. I live on Maui, and so many shivering visitors think it will still be warm at 10,000 feet. You really covered a lot of ground.

Tot: 0.175s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.051s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb