The key moment


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui » Lahaina
January 23rd 2009
Published: January 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Started off our last day in Kihei with a typically large American breakfast. At least the beach was long enough, and the late check-out long enough, to walk some of it off before setting off to Napili Bay.

The move didn't get off to the best start when I locked the car keys in the trunk! Naturally the car itself was locked so no chance of popping it from inside. I've never been so pleased to have paid $4.99/day for the roadside assistance insurance. Otherwise I may have been facing an unpleasant bill. The very friendly guy (who apparently spends most of his days retrieving keys from trunks) arrived within 30 minutes so not too much time was lost. I'm going to try very hard not to do it again. B was very sweet about it, I only got one or two withering looks.

Getting anywhere on Maui takes an age, speed limits are very low, but it's so very laid back here there's no reason to hurry anyway.

Got a really nice condo here with a superbly equipped kitchen. It's really nice to be able to live a 'nearly normal' life by being able to cook our own meals for a change instead of having to find restaurants that a) are in our price range, and b) serve veggie food that we both want to eat. That it has a dishwasher is the icing on the cake.
The only thing that is troubling me in the slightest here is the disturbing number of bumper stickers proclaiming "Jesus is the answer", to which I can only retort "Well, WTF was the question then?"
That, and the ridiculous number of channels showing religious programming....... oh and the ads for 'genuine sterling silver and crystal crosses' that when you look thru' the center 😉 show a magnified Lord's Prayer. Quite bizarre. And apparently a perfect gift for weddings, christenings, graduations, birthdays, anniversaries, holidays,..... and on and on ad nauseam.
...... And the fact that you are completely hamstrung unless, at all times, you carry round an enormous weight of quarters. I'm sure the US would seize up without them.

Maui is lovely and chilled - we pulled off the road on the way to the condo and saw a whale! So cool! Love love love going to sleep to the sound of the sea. This place is sweet, Jb has been cooking, and I've mixed the drinks and loaded the dishwasher. Hopefully will go on a boat to see the whales a bit closer, maybe do some snorkelling tomorrow, feeling too lazy! What Jb didn't mention was once we got into the car we turned the gps on but......he'd remembered to charge it up, but then forgot to turn if off afterwards, so consequently the battery was dead! Car charger nowhere to be seen!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 41; dbt: 0.0619s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb