The Spectacular Beauty of Lahaina, Maui


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Maui » Kahului
January 21st 2009
Published: February 17th 2009
Edit Blog Post

After a "continental " breakfast, we visit Lahaina - the Whalers Village - by motorcoach.

Our first stop is the Lahainaluna School Hale Pa'i Printing Press Museum. We see the importance of the printing press to Hawai'ians. In spite of the fact that many diseases were introduced to the Hawai'ians, Susan says the missonaries did the Hawaiians a favor by introducing the Printing Press. Before the printing press, Hawai'ian history was all verbal, passed from one generation to the next.

Our guide gave us a demonstration on the printing press and explained how the press helps to teach the students of today by giving them a view of the past. While we were there, suddenly a siren sounded and then students started coming out of all the classrooms. It was the signal for the changing of classes for the students. They had a 15 min break between classes and immediately gathered in little groups, talking to their friends.

The main difference between these teens and the teens on the mainland was their dress. Shorts, T shirts, halter tops, and flip flop sandals. were seen on everyone. (Not much different than when our weather is warmer in our
printing press demonstrationprinting press demonstrationprinting press demonstration

A demonstration was given by our guide explaning the importance of the printing press to Hawai'ians
summer.) The cell phones, loud laughing, and enthusiastic talking were about the same. I'm sure our group was commented on as those adults or "old people". Kapuna in Hawai'ian.

We have lunch at Penne Pasta and then we then go to Whaler's Village, a shopping complex with many shops and restaurants and the Whaler's Museum. John and I choose to go shopping instead of to the Museum. We buy me a tiered silk skirt and some Christmas ornaments (much like 30 years ago).

Then we take the Lahaina Islander bus #20(as Susan had coached us to do) and ride for an hour back to Ka'ahumanu Shopping center on the other side of Maui. People watching was a great activity at the bus stops and on the bus. We walk across the street to the Maui Beach Hotel and have a buffet dinner. Everyone has much to talk about telling about this afternoon's adventures.








Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

The Printing PressThe Printing Press
The Printing Press

A reconstructed virsion
Whaler's VillageWhaler's Village
Whaler's Village

Contains several shops, restaurants and the Whaler's Museum in Ka'anapali
Penne PastaPenne Pasta
Penne Pasta

We have lunch here in Lahaina


Tot: 0.062s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0363s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb