Kauai October 2012 Day 5


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Kaua'i
October 28th 2012
Published: October 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We had a pretty laid back day today - a "his" and "hers" day. Paul indulged me by going to a beautiful park, the Kauai Coffee Company plantation and then shopping. We stopped by a church craft fair that had lots of fun handmade stuff. When we got back to the condo, we made our own plate lunch with leftover terriyaki steak and rice. I enjoyed a nap while Paul puttered around getting ready for the game. At 2 p.m., the Huskers took over the rest of the afternoon ;-) Not much of a photo opp - just Paul yelling at the TV.

Addendum: Paul took a "nap" at about 7 p.m. so I settled in for an evening with Bella, Edward and Jacob in "New Moon" and just when things were getting interesting (when Jacob rescues Bella from her cliff dive and just before Edward makes his return, duh), there was an emergency weather alert about a tsunami warning.

I woke Paul and after a little more checking, we decided to follow the evacuation notice and headed up to Koloa Town. We thought we could hang out at Tomkats, the bar and grill we had enjoyed the day before, but every shop was closed up. We walked the sidewalk for awhile then visited the local grocery store with dozens of other folks looking to buy some water, beer and whatnot. But mostly beer.

We settled in at the Hawaii bank parking lot with lots of other folks and listened to AM radio. There really isn't much to say about a possible tsunami, so the DJ mostly talked about massive tsunamis in Hawaii history. They took calls from people who were foolish to stay put. Eventually, the threat of disaster passed so we headed back to our condo.

No such luck. We had to wait with everyone else who evacuated until 1:30 a.m. when the all clear was announced. I was so, so sleepy, but unable to get comfortable. But jeez- thank goodness it turned out to be a non-event. I get to write about our first tsunami warning instead of ... not. Life is good :-)


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



29th October 2012
P1010966

Coffee
That would be a raw coffee bean.

Tot: 0.126s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 11; qc: 77; dbt: 0.0851s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb