O Come All Ye Braddahs.


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Oahu
December 4th 2006
Published: December 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Mr. and Mrs. Claus.Mr. and Mrs. Claus.Mr. and Mrs. Claus.

Note their size, compared to the human figures.
Every year at Christmas, The City exhibits an enormous Seasonal Display rivaling any large City in the U.S. in spite of our balmy tropical winter. Of course there is a tall Christmas Tree with tons of lights, humongous Christmas figures like Mr. and Mrs. Claus, Snow Family, Elves, etc., Christmas Tree and Wreath Exhibits, a Night Light Parade, Christmas Concert and much much more.

This project got started about 20 years ago, by a feisty ex-Marine Mayor formerly from a New England State. He was a controversial figure, who was quite a Maverick you might say and you either like him or hated him. He was sometimes mocked as being a Rambo, by some Council Members, and did as a joke, come to work dressed as Rambo, complete with headband and a toy machine gun.

One morning, the Council Members came to work, only to find their parking spaces torn up by bulldozers. The Mayor decided, without the Council Members knowing he wanted their parking spaces to be turned into a grassy area. How’s that for Cajones?

However, his decision to make Honolulu a Christmas Wonderland, damn the expense, was a popular decision and all following Mayors have
Official City Tree.Official City Tree.Official City Tree.

Hawaiian Instruments Replica are about 4' tall, just for perpective purposes.
followed suit. For the whole month of December, people will congregate at City Hall to enjoy the Trees and other exhibits and the camaraderie that goes along with it.

If you’re wondering about the Title of this journal and what is a “Braddah”, it’s a local slang for the word Brother. Like the Soul Brother interpretation of the word, it also has it own connotations and varied meanings. Though there’s not exact translation, I would describe a Braddah, as a local Local Male.

Taking a page from one of my favorite comedian, Jeff Foxworthy, perhaps one can say, “you may be a Braddah” if: Your main wardrobe consist of flip-flops, jammys and tank top. (extra points if it’s silk screened with a pit bull, a bikinied wahine, a boar with a caption “Pig Hunter”, or a Gourd Helmeted Warrior with the words “Ikaika” meaning Strong.) Your idea of a fine dining restaurant is Masu's Massive Plate Lunch, The Kanak Attack instead of Le Guignol, Michel or La Mer.

If: You have an armband tattoo. Your date needs a ladder to get into your 4x4 truck. Your ideal date is an evening at the Extreme Ultimate Fight Challenge, with beer, darts and pool at the Sport Bar, after. Your choice of Champagne is Bud Light. Your choice of salad is not Caesar, but “Po-Ke”, a raw fish salad with seaweed, onions, chili pepper, etc. Well, I think you get the picture. Mele Kalimaka.



Additional photos below
Photos: 63, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

Large Replica of an Ipu.Large Replica of an Ipu.
Large Replica of an Ipu.

Hollowed out Groud use to accompany Hawaiian Chants.
What Would Jesus Buy?What Would Jesus Buy?
What Would Jesus Buy?

Shop in Aloha Tower Market Place.
State Korean and Vietnam War Memorial.State Korean and Vietnam War Memorial.
State Korean and Vietnam War Memorial.

Name of fallen soldier on top of each block.
Random Names.Random Names.
Random Names.

Name of fallen soldier on top of each block.
Random Names.Random Names.
Random Names.

Name of fallen soldier on top of each block.


4th December 2006

Season Greetings from Holland
Dear Franklin, Nice to see these christmaspictures in full summerweather. We wish you a very good christmas and a happy 2007 with lots of travel and adventures. Monkey and Bear
4th December 2006

Hi, Monkey and Bear. Glad you like the Christmas Photos. We need extra help here to get into the spirit. It's only starting to get cool. It was hot and sweltering just a few days ago. Hope to see more photos and reports from you. Merry Christmas.

Tot: 0.233s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 24; qc: 66; dbt: 0.0944s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb