Oahu and Big Island


Advertisement
Published: July 9th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well....... where were we?

The day after visiting Pearl Harbour we woke up early and headed for the $2.25 breakkie again. Afterwards we went to Thrifty to collect our hire car. For some reason the booking was not there but we managed to still organise a car for the next two days. Ouch..... it cost US$150 for 2 days (they slugged us with the insurance).

Chris went to the wrong side of the car to get in (which Shane thought was hillarious) but we eventually made it onto the main road. Gee what an experience, sitting on the opposite side of the car and the road compared to what we were used to.

We headed out to what the guy at the hire car company said was the 'bad side' of the island. Chris managed to get us lost for and we ended up in a lovely new housing estate but she pulled herself out of the bad books and managed to get us back on the interstate again.

Our first stop was Oahu's version of The Big Pineapple called The Dole Plantation. Whilst there we were too stingy to buy anything (or enter the world's biggest
Sunset BeachSunset BeachSunset Beach

We didnt see David Hasselhoff but we still found the lifeguard tower
maze) but still managed to eat some free pineapple.

Our next stop was the North Shore (where Jack Johnson lives) and we briefly stopped at Waimea Bay and Sunset Beach. Unfortunately there were no waves there but the water was still nice and refreshing.

We stopped at the Shrimp Shack for lunch which was fine till Chris found out she had to peel them and discovered the 'poo trail'! Afterwards we stopped at Manoa Falls and trecked up to find the waterfall far from gushing the water, more of a trickle over the edge.

We headed out for dinner at TGI Fridays which as per usual the food was enormous.

Thursday July 6th we woke up and headed to Hanauma Bay Nature Reserve where we parked about 1km down the road and trecked back. There we watched the 9min documentary before heading down for a snorkel. We took a few photos underwater (hopefully some of them had fish in them) and after 2hrs or so we headed back to the car.

We drove up the coast to Pali Lookout and then headed back to the hotel stopping to get some shaved ice on the way. We headed to Cheeseburger in Paradise for dinner where Shane managed to eat his burger in about 30secs flat and Chris finishing a few minutes later.

Friday morning we got up early (but not early enough) to head to the airport. We managed to get to the airport when our plane was boarding and were unable to get our booked flight. After speaking with the airline we managed to get on the next flight leaving 1hr later.

We arrived at Kona, The Big Island at 8:30am and caught a taxi to our hotel. Chris managed to harass the taxi driver about Alaska for the whole trip as he lived there for 3 years. Upon arrival at our hotel (6hrs early and definately to their surprise) we helped ourselves to a free breakfast and waited for our room to be cleaned. The hotel is right on the water and we only hoped there would be a seabreeze so as to stop us from melting in the heat.

We spent the rest of the day walking to Kailua town centre and headed for the first place (which was the farthest) that had air conditioning, Taco Bell. The food was average but the air-con was fantastic. Shane has managed to convince Chris to drink water, although his reason being that it rehydrates you, Chris' motivation is purely because its free in most places.

We headed back to the hotel for a swim and afternoon nap (sorry all of you who were working) and then to a local mexican place for dinner. As per usual the servings were massive and Chris managed to only eat half of her one burrito (Shane of course scoffed his down as per usual).

We have 4 more days here on the Big Island and are yet to work out exactly what we are doing, except that Shane thinks he is on the verge of a suntan but Chris still thinks he looks as pasty as ever...

Take care everyone and we will update you all soon.

Shane and Chris xoxoxo


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 65; dbt: 0.07s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb