My National Geographic Day....


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Hawaii » Big Island » Hilo
November 6th 2013
Published: November 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Kilauea Crater at nightKilauea Crater at nightKilauea Crater at night

Amazing glow from deep inside....
You probably remember all the National Geographic articles on volcanos and especially the eruption of Kilauea in Hawaii, with photos of roads and homes being covered in oozing lava.....

Well, I was there today....! And since I can never see enough lava, I loved every minute....only regret is that there is no flow right now that you can get close to....so that experience will have to wait...

But here's lots of footage:


We started off with a view of the eruption in the crater, called Halema'uma'u, from the Jaggar Museum (where they have a comparison between Mt St Helens lava and that of Kilauea!). The plume of volcanic gas is a "constant and dramatic reminder of the molten rock churning in a lava lake beneath the crater floor". The crater became active again in March 2008, and this has closed the crater trails, and part of the rim road...

Next we hiked along the rim in clouds of steam from vents under the edge of the rim. The hike continued into jungle, and then looped back to the steam vents. By this time it was raining, and Bill decided to get the car and meet me
New digs in HiloNew digs in HiloNew digs in Hilo

This is not Big Wave....
at the other end of the Sulphur Banks Trail. I got soaked, but it was worth it...!

We decided to get some lunch, and drove into the village of Volcano, where we found a wonderful vegetarian restaurant (Café Ono). We were going to do a longer hike in the afternoon, but the rain changed our plans, and we drove the Crater Road through lava fields to the sea. It was amazing...all kinds of lava, petroglyphs, craters....

We arrived back at the Jaggar Museum just after dark and got to see the spectacular show of the gas plumes lit from below by the lake of lava.....

Not a bad day!


Additional photos below
Photos: 34, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

KilaueaKilauea
Kilauea

First view
CraterCrater
Crater

To the left of the active vent
HikeHike
Hike

There are steam vents in the bushes everywhere...you need to stay on the trail!
OrchidOrchid
Orchid

Bamboo orchid...we saw fields of them...but they are not native...
Sulphur Banks hikeSulphur Banks hike
Sulphur Banks hike

Rocks are "cooking"...I hiked this alone in a heavy rain...had the whole trail to myself!


6th November 2013

National Geographic Day
Wow! I've hiked on lava fields in Iceland, but never got close to anything that was steaming. Great photos! C.

Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb