GEORGIA SEA TURTLE CENTER


Advertisement
Published: February 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

This was just the most amazing place. It is a education and rescue centre for sea turtles of all shapes and sizes. The interactive educational part of it, was very well done, we also got to watch through a window as the staff treated a turtle that had been hit by a boat propeller and it's shell had been cut open, giving it spine and lung injuries. It had been there for 18 months and still had open wounds. They do their best not to sedate the turtles for treatment, as they are not passive breathers..they have to think to breath, and if they're sedated..well, you can guess what happens.

We then got a tour of the hospital, where they introduced each turtle, ranging from 150lb down to tiny little babies. Explaining what each injury was, how it happened and what the treatment was. It was quite shocking to see what happens to many of them, and that their survival rate is so low... only 1 in 4,000 survive to maturity which makes them an endangered species. Most of the deaths are through natural predation, but much of the deaths and mutilation are caused by humans and are completely preventable.
the treatment roomthe treatment roomthe treatment room

This is the turtle that was hit by the boat


Much of the operation is run by volunteers who dedicated many hours to the cause, but the medical staff are all highly trained.

Did you know that turtles make no sound! Guess that's why I haven't been able to teach our Caramel and Pecan to talk! Here I thought they were just being stubborn!

Here's the pics....


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

TestTest
Test

Test lost her front flipper when fishing line got wrapped around it. By the time the Coat Guard found her, the flipper was so badly damaged that the center had to amputate. Amazingly, she will still be able to be released back into the ocean, once she learns to compensated with her remaining 3 flippers.


Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0406s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb