Jekyll Island, Georgia


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Jekyll Island
October 27th 2010
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Our stop at Jekyll Island was unplanned. We had a little extra time before our reservation at Fort Desoto County Campground in the Tampa Bay area, took a look at the map, did a search for camping on Jekyll Island and headed toward the ocean. Lucky find for us! Blackbeard (the fierce pirate Edward Teach) is said to have buried his swag here and later it was a clubby winter retreat for JP Morgan and his pals, the Firestones until 1942. These guys knew their real estate. Tropical & beautiful!

Jekyll is the smallest of Georgia's "Golden Isles." Its size makes it easy to cover on a loop road dotted with historic interpretive signage, we have to go back another time and take the time to absorb it well. We bought a self -conducted guided tour book and will use it when we visit again.

The campsite, on the north end of the island, was crowded but perfectly adequate. We were directed to the very nearby Driftwood Bistro at Villas by the Sea. We had a great meal at a great value - appetizer, dinners, dessert, & bottle of wine for under $50. Lovers of regional food would join
Jekyll Island ClubJekyll Island ClubJekyll Island Club

Elegant and a page out of the past. On Sunday morning people were dressed - ties, blazers, even hosiery. We strolled through the lovely lobby, watched croquet players, and enjoyed the ambiance.
us in ordering shrimp & grits and fried okra!

We pulled in to the fishing pier after dinner - there are many public picnic areas and beaches with free parking dotting the island.

Next morning we headed counter clockwise and drove into the historic district where the Jekyll Island Club Hotel reigns supreme. On this Sunday morning guests were headed for brunch dressed in their southern elegant finest - white trousers, straw boaters, children in smocked duds, ladies in hosiery and us in flip flops.

We walked out on the Historic Warf and enjoyed watching cruisers and sail boats heading further south on the inland waterway. A sign invited us to return for a Sunday Sunset Party with the Warf Ratz later that night. We had lunch at Blackbeard’s Restaurant and then crossed the dunes on a boardwalk to the beach. We were going to just sit in the sun and read for an hour or so, but the sun, the soft white sand (which below the high tide mark was firm and great to walk on, and the surprisingly warm Atlantic kept us there all day! We realized we had never been on a Georgia beach
Wes & Joanne Jekyll IslandWes & Joanne Jekyll IslandWes & Joanne Jekyll Island

At the Rah Bar on the Jekyll Island Club Warf.
ever before!

We hied ourselves back for the Sunday Sunset party at the Historic Warf - Latitude 31 inside, Rah Bar outside, and the Warf Ratz featured entertainment! Wes ordered Low Country Boil and let me share some. I had raw oysters and didn't have to share. We both had some sort of rum concoction that reminded us of "killer bees" in Nevis.

No traffic lights, nor are there gas stations on Jekyll Island!

300 miles to go to get to Fort Desoto, Tampa Bay! Stay tuned.

I have misplaced, misfiled, deleted, and lost??? some of my Jekyll photos and scarfed up a few images from the Georgia tourism web site. The photo credit for the sunset and the Jekyll Island Club is Gary Clark's.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Low Country Boil & Oysters on the Half ShellLow Country Boil & Oysters on the Half Shell
Low Country Boil & Oysters on the Half Shell

At the Rah Bar --- the Warf Ratz played, the sun sank, the breeze blew, and we ate and drank!
Not Clothesline FriendlyNot Clothesline Friendly
Not Clothesline Friendly

We really liked the Jekyll Island Camp Ground - It really maximized space. The sites were very close together. There was really no room for clotheslines.
Sunset, Jekyll IslandSunset, Jekyll Island
Sunset, Jekyll Island

Photo credit, Gary Clark, unfortunately my own fairly decent photos have disappeared.


31st October 2010

Jekyll Island
Sounds great! I so hope that Tom and Iwill be able to follow in your foot steps in a few more years! Happy, safe travels!
31st October 2010

Hi Tom & Maryanne
Hope EVERYONE gets to do this! Good luck with your RE-ELECTION on Tuesday, Tom!

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 14; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0505s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb