AHA!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Georgia » Atlanta
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

Thank you for all you good luck wishes: they held out until Atlanta. Just as we arrived, so did a big flash of lightning. You know, I just had a hunch that Atlanta was as far as I was going that night, and I was quite correct. My flight to Peoria was cancelled and I had meager, but free

accommodations at the Wellesley Inn in Atlanta. I have never experienced weather so uncomfortable: a night time that was hot and raining. And, even though I had flown through breakfast, second breakfast, lunch, luncheon, and supper with small portions of plastic wrapped carbohydrated trans-fat food substitutes grudgingly handed out from stainless steel cart vendors, I was really, really ready for some real food.

Now, if you are stuck in Atlanta and staying at the Comfort Suites, Holiday Inn, or, hopefully not, the Wellseley Inn, just head yourself over to La Fiesta. Good basic, reasonable Mexican food, and the “Medium” Margarita is about the size of your head. If you want to go all out, get the large: I fully expected to see a gold fish come jumping up out of it. The young man shown is Luis Ponce. His parents own the restaurant-she came to the US when she was just 21- and he was convivial without being intrusive. That is a wonderful gift when you are traveling alone but you also really need to devour a plate of beans, rice, and enchiladas.

I love the Coca Cola glass art on the door: so Art Deco; so Georgia.

Tomorrow they promise that I will get to ride on the airplane all the way to Peoria. More good luck wishes, please! And a special note to Caitlin: we need to revise my words of wisdom-you need clean underwear, a toothbrush, AND eyebrow pencil, blush, and mascara. Those earlier words of wisdom to a daughter were from a much younger mother.



Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



3rd July 2007

i was lying
just for the sake of good luck wishes. i am in no way, nor have i ever been, convinced that all one needs is a toothbrush and clean underwear. i knew it when i wrote it, and almost prefaced the statement with a sentence along the lines of "though the following sentence is in no way true or accurate, it somehow helps to chant mantra-like as you are walking out the door." but i thought that maybe all this would be better left discussed til after your departure.....so, here we are!!! how nice of the universe to give you a bonus mini-adventure in your adventure! i'm kinda jealous - i've always been curious about georgia a little more than other states. are you just getting sick of seeing women in lace gloves and gentlemen and white linen suits sipping mint juleps under boughs of wisteria just about EVERYWHERE you go? fly safe and thoroughly the rest of the way there. love you more than romantic notions of the south.
3rd July 2007

Good weather
Hey "Cora", Will you actually see this? If so, yes to all the questions you posed before you left, i.e., it's ok to do this and that and the other thing (it may be too late to answer at this late date). Anyway, it sounds like you had good weather. We have a thunderstorm here now and then, but nothing like we had when I lived in MS. I assume Atlanta is the same. You gotta luv that thunder. Let me join the chorus: Good Luck! Richard
3rd July 2007

Oh My Gosh!
This is hilarious already. Can't wait to hear about the rest of your journey.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0526s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb