Florida Adventure Days 4-7


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida
January 10th 2009
Published: January 14th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ranch ArrivalRanch ArrivalRanch Arrival

Bob and Chris's house on the ranch - - a little piece of heaven

Days 4 through 7 - Trenton, FL


What a wonderful few days with friends Bob and Chris in Trenton, Florida. Those two, plus Jerry, were all firefighters together, working for the City of Milwaukee Fire Dept. Retired now, it was great to hear all the stories (some heard before; others new for Rita) and to enjoy time together. We had thought there were other retired firefighters in the immediate area but learned they were actually many miles away in Florida. We were very content to stay with Bob and Chris and enjoy some special time.

Trenton, along with surrounding towns and counties, is horse country (some cattle). Bob and Chris own a horse farm. They have a very nice home on enough acres to very comfortably house their seven horses with Scooby, their dog. We learned a lot, including how much work horses can be. We've often wanted to have a horse or two ourselves but given our inexperience, never understood the work that goes into owning them. Kudos to the great job Bob and Chris do with their acreage and horses, etc.

Day 4 - Wednesday, Jan. 7th
We met for breakfast, enjoying not only the food
The tourThe tourThe tour

Chris invites Jerry to drive the "Gator" as she and Scooby the dog take us on tour of the ranch
but the tales and laughs of Jerry, Bob, and Chris's firefighting days gone by. We all caught up on each others lives as well as sharing information on comrades. We all went to Ocala for errands they needed to get done and for Jerry to find a scooter place to get the lift for the scooter fixed. Erands complete, we headed back to Trenton. We took a rest at the hotel while Bob and Chris went about some chores. We got the first glimpse of their house and horses as we met them there before going to dinner. We were quite jealous - they have a wonderful place, beautiful horses, and of course, their best dog-friend, Scooby.

Dinner was a great treat at a quaint, local restaurant - Ribs, ribs, and more ribs with a choice selection of barbecue sauces. More stories, more laughs, more fun and too soon, the evening was gone. As we got back to their ranch, Chris invited Rita to help with "treating" the horses - an evening ritual. Rita of course, jumped at the opportunity. All horses have personalities and they become ever more obvious when there is food around. Trying to learn the names and keep them straight would be a challenge. So, let's see now...Ellie is mom to Lilly (4 yrs old). Vie is mom to Robin, Kit (just short of a year old), and Elton (Elton being the only boy and the one away, training for his first horse show and about 2 years old if memory serves). And then there's Cindy - the smallest in size and yellow as compared to the browns/reds of the others. It'll take another day to get the names straight and at least another day to tell the brown ones apart from each other. We left the horses and bid farewell for the night. Tomorrow is another day.

Day 5 - Thursday, Jan. 8th
We met Bob for breakfast - actually joined him for his breakfast routine. It was then on to the ranch to help with a tree that had fallen. The guys began the work on the downed tree while Chris and Rita went to ride. Rita learned a lot. You see, as much as Rita loves horses, she's only ridden after they were saddled by someone else. So, Chris saddled both horses while providing a great education to Rita on the
The "back yard"The "back yard"The "back yard"

They have a screened in pool area attached at the back of their house. Pretty cool!!
art of saddling a horse. Chris had intended to ride Robin and have Rita ride Ellie but with a strong wind that day (or whatever), it turned out Ellie had a little streak of mischief in her. So, Chris took Ellie to begin with and Rita had Robin - the largest and strongest gait of the horses but the most forgiving with an inexperienced rider.

As we exited the barn and entered the area with the other horses, it turned out everyone was pretty spirited. They ran about, playing artfully across the pastures. It was interesting to witness the pecking order. Vie is #1 and Robin (the one Rita was on) is #2. Even Vie got a little feisty with Robin. Rita got a little nervous twice - mostly about doing something wrong or something that would encourage a bad outcome but no worries, Chris had everything very well under control. Chris is quite obviously a very experienced rider and has the respect of all the horses. We exited the area where the other horses were to mozy around the property and immediate area. The other horses continued to frolic, seemingly running races with each other. It was awesome
The pasteursThe pasteursThe pasteurs

This is only one of a few and taken from the back of the property
to watch.

Lilly continued her high-spirited day so we didn't switch horses after all. Robin was a gem for Rita. She teased that Robin was good because of her riding ability but everyone including her, knew very well that it was simply a great horse who probably knew very well she had an inexperienced rider on her back and thus, was so gentle and calm, it was an absolute pleasure. Rita would have wonderful dreams of this ride for a long time. It had been years since she had been on a horse so it was a special treat to say the least. We teased about the property for sale next to them. It was nice to think about - Bob and Chris would be awesome neighbors and having a horse or two with experienced folks would be awesome. Reality sunk in quickly as we knew the price tag was well over our means and some things just need to remain dreams.

We finished riding and headed over to help the guys. They had done a great job with the downed tree and were pretty close to calling it a day (we think they were annoyed that we
The horsesThe horsesThe horses

Well...just a few of them. That's Kit in front - she has a habit of friendly nipping at folks for attention which is why Rita is giving her head a little nudge away
hadn't quit riding and come to help sooner but oh well). Chris and Rita cut some final branches using Chris's brand new electric chain sawand Jerry took his last load of branches to the pile in the back with the tractor. He had been in his glory, running around like a true farm boy that he is, in the tractor Bob actually let him drive! It was quite the sight - you can get a good idea from the pictures. It was finally Miller time and Chris made some veggie quesadillas. That break brought the nap need on for Jerry so we went back to the hotel for a pre-dinner nap.

Evening and a planned dinner came quickly - too quickly for Jerry to regroup. We ended up renigging on dinner and stay in for the night. Fresh air and a great time "on the ranch" was enough to call it a day.

Day 6 - Friday, Jan. 9th
Bob's breakfast routine now became ours as well. After meeting for breakfast, we went and did a couple of errands while Bob went back and worked with Chris on some things they needed to get done. We met up
The ranch next storeThe ranch next storeThe ranch next store

Tempting but out of our means. Neighbors would have been awesome!
for a trip to the Gulf coast - - Cedar Keys to be exact. Unfortunately, Chris was unable to join us as she was awaiting the vet to come for routine shots and check-ups for the horses. Cedar Keys has a very nice beach with surrounding small town atmosphere and of course, lots of condos both old and new. We drove through a protected wetlands area which was interesting for Jerry and Rita being from way "up nort." It was a great afternoon, including watching the local fisherman, fishing from the piers with anxiously waiting pelicans, hoping for the remains of any fish. Quite amusing it was.

We met up again for a wonderful dinner at the "Lighthouse" in Fanning Springs, a nearby town. It wasn't really a lighthouse but the food and service was excellent and of course, the company outstanding. We ate, laughed, and sincerely enjoyed. Time was going so fast. It was hard to believe we'd be headed out already tomorrow.

Day 7 - Saturday, Jan 10th
If you're thinking we did breakfast with Bob yet again, you are absolutely correct. We then stopped by the ranch to bid farewell to all - Chris, Bob,
Preparing to ridePreparing to ridePreparing to ride

Chris fetches Robin and gets Lilly for Rita
Scooby the dog, and the horses - Vie, Robin, Kit, Elie, Lily, and Cindy. It was a great visit and we are hopeful to visit again, taking advantage of their encouraging invitation to stay longer and stay on the ranch with them next time. One never knows what the future will bring but at least, it didn't seem we wore out our welcome this trip 😊

We began the trek toward Orlando, revisiting the fond memories of the last few days. They are very special people and revisiting all the firefighter stories warmed Rita's heart and invigorated Jerry's soul. Bob and Chris's directions were perfect. We arrived at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club for the next leg of our Florida journey. Our condo unit for the next few days is extraordinary. Weather is awesome as we arrive. Only time will tell if the weather will deteriorate as weathermen are predicting. For tonight, Jerry gets his scooter out and we stroll the grounds, admiring the major pool and play areas and making our way out to the lake via a walkway. There is a light accenting the water fountain in the middle of the lake. With the full moon reflecting
We're offWe're offWe're off

Lilly seemed a bit spirited today so Chris took her and Rita took Robin
off the water, stars shining brightly, and a calm all about us, there is a peace that permeates our spirits as we bring another great day to a close.



Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 28


Advertisement

And the boys workedAnd the boys worked
And the boys worked

Bob and Jerry started to work on the downed tree
Stopping by the guysStopping by the guys
Stopping by the guys

Yeah, we really should have been helping but you know, those horses need exercise and that's work too!
Lilly shows her spiritLilly shows her spirit
Lilly shows her spirit

She just wanted to have a little fun! Chris was awesome - obviously an experienced horsewoman.
Rita riding RobinRita riding Robin
Rita riding Robin

Robin did a great job of making Rita look good!
Are we done yet?Are we done yet?
Are we done yet?

Wind is kicking up - - not sure how much more they'll do today.
The causeThe cause
The cause

An education - the tree came down as the result of termites. This is what it looks like from the inside.
The cause - another viewThe cause - another view
The cause - another view

Per Chris and Bob - the termites are gone...this is the remains.


Tot: 0.391s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 13; qc: 56; dbt: 0.1706s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb