West Palm Beach & Miami


Advertisement
Published: June 2nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Convention Time!
We went to check out the convention centre in West Palm Beach on Thursday to make sure of the times and so on. Yay, smiley friendly faces! They can’t believe that we are all the way from Africa and so the chatterings begin.. The hall used to be a rundown basketball court known as the ‘leaky tepee’, and in 2001 J.W bought it and fixed it up. Once they saw it in its new revamped state they wanted it back and hoped that we would have concerts and basketball games in it..well, they lost out and there will be none of that in there!

CONVENTION
Friday morning we arrived early, got our seats and the first day flew by! The Program was wonderful with some nice surprises..(I won’t go into detail, wait till yours comes around, or if you really want to know let me know..I don’t want to ruin it for others) We met some nice people, some were at the international convention in Cape Town in 2009 and now we see them again. There were 30 baptized and at the peak on Sunday was over 5000 in attendance, this will continue every weekend until the end of August or so..(I’m not too sure).
FT LAUDERDALE
We were treated to a boat road in Ft Lauderdale where all the rich fat cats live..wow some of those boats were huge! And expensive! That’s not all they have to pay thousands of Dollars for the thing to just stand there next to their empty holiday house that they never come to! But it was nice to see where Judge Judy and a few other well-known people have unoccupied holiday homes..
Dinner at Sweet Tomato..
What a refreshing break from fast food and microwave dinners! As you walk in a long salad bar greets you, you can build your own salad or add on to one of theirs. After salad there is a soup bar, all healthy freshly made on the day, and after that there is a bakery and small pasta section, not done yet… PUDDING.. mouse, ice cream, jelly, brownies, muffins and some very gooey death by chocolate bake…mmmm..yum! I don’t know why I didn’t take pics! We were in there twice!
We went to West Palm Beach Village for a little night walk and milkshake. Their tiny fountain was very pretty, it just needed some music! And I couldn’t help but go in the sweetie shop to look at all the yummies I can’t eat..that is of course unless I want to roll home!
MIAMI!!
It was a bit of a challenge getting to the beach as some of the roads leading to the beach were closed off with police tape..It was ‘memorial weekend’, where the whole country remembers the troops and those who lost their lives ‘for their country’. Anyway we later found out they also have ‘hip-hop’ weekend on South Beach Miami on memorial day, AND there was a SHOOT-OUT just a few hours before we got there! We later checked it out on YouTube,( South Beach Miami shoot-out), yikes! Seems a little dodgy, but the police shot the gunmen (or man-dunno??) and all was calm, just a lot of police and security everywhere..now it really felt like a movie set, gangsters walking around, police, pimped cars, strange women.. Anyway, we headed for the beach, gorgeous white sand and very warm water! Way warmer than Mozambique’s water, I could have spent the day swimming and basking in the sun, but there were places to see, things to buy and stomachs to fill and this way we got a better fuller picture of the area. We also enjoyed seeing the old style Diner and art deco buildings. The Palm trees make such a difference on the beach and along Ocean drive..can’t believe we made it to Miami.. Now where are all those famous and gorgeous people that we are made to believe walk along the beach?? It’s FAR from what you see on t.v! That’s all I can say without being rude..and I can’t post those pics on here either.. We managed to find the Kardashian’s boutique.. DASH MIAMI.. It was SO expensive, thin shorts going for $160 and the cheapest thing we managed to spot was a boring bottle of water for $10! NO, I was not going to buy it, but I took advantage of the photo oppertunaties!

Well, That was Florida.. and I loved it! Now we are leaving Savannah Georgia towards Washington D.C. and then New York by Saturday..
Chat Later



Additional photos below
Photos: 48, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



Tot: 0.111s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb