Venice / Nokomis Beach, Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Venice
December 8th 2012
Published: December 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

The Crow's NestThe Crow's NestThe Crow's Nest

This is nicely located on the Jetty. Fine dining upstairs at night, pub menu downstairs.
The Encore RV Park, Royal Coachman in Nokomis, is beautiful and the people seem friendly (but not overly) and nice. We could hardly wait to get the campsite set up and take a dip in the (comfortably heated) pool.







On Friday night we went to "sunset" at the South Jetty and had a casual dinner (downstairs) at the nearby Crow's Nest in Venice. The resort had a pancake breakfast on Saturday morning without us but I hied myself over to the craft show in the club house and found some great hand crafted items. Lucky you if you're on our Christmas list and get the basket made out of clothesline (how's that for irony for those of you who know me and my clothesline collection)!





Low key on Saturday at the pool with our books, noodles and exercise dumbbells all afternoon and steak dinner, a collaborative J&W effort, at home (motor home) Saturday night! Glad we had a service guy show up to fix the cable as there were two TV treats on Saturday night - a live broadcast of the Sarasota Lighted Boat Parades on local SNN TV
Caspersen BeachCaspersen BeachCaspersen Beach

This amazing beach is new to us. It's an ADA - American Disability Act - approved project. The entrances are well ramped by design. For the beach itself balloon tires on strollers or wheel chairs would make the sand easier to roll on; but you can get there without stairs using the SAME entry point as everyone else.
and Sarah Brightman, Michael Crawford and the original cast of Phantom on PBS.









Sunday was just about perfect - the weather and our itinerary exceeded expectations. We've breezed through Venice before; this is the first time that we are staying here and we think we're going to like it. On the previous trips we had lunch at TJ Carney's twice, strolled downtown, and paid brief visits to the South Jetty, Venice Pier and Sharky's.





We jeeped over to South Casey Key and the North Jetty which we had in our view on Friday night from the South Jetty. We both remarked about a wonderful characteristic of the Venice area - no fee for parking - not downtown, not near the piers, not in the parks, and not at the beaches. Very friendly of Venice!



Two other beaches were on our Sunday agenda. Venice Beach and Caspersen Beach. We shared a nice lunch at Sharky's a fun and obviously tourista spot with a great view, wonderful beach and pier access at Venice Beach. Sharky's is being remodeled and we hope the "new" Sharky's has
Shark Tooth HuntShark Tooth HuntShark Tooth Hunt

Colendars, strainers, screened boxes on long poles, and even my Altoids box are the implements of the shark tooth hung. Everyone got into the act. at Caspersen Beach!
the roof top outdoor lounge that we had enjoyed on our prior trip.





Further south on South Harbor Drive got us to Caspersen. Caspersen is new to us and could easily become our favorite beach in the Venice area. It's wilder than the others, the sand is softer, AND it is an ADA - American Disability Act - facility. The design is so thoughtful for people using strollers, walkers or wheelchairs. So often people with certain challenges can't get close to the water except in very urban areas; but this beach is accessible (you might want to opt for balloon tires on the sand) for all. Accessible rest rooms too! This is the beach for hunting sharks' teeth. People of all ages were engaged in the hunt. Also, it's studded with very interesting rocks. So not a good spot for skimmer boards or surf boards; but otherwise wonderful! We skipped the Venice Municipal Beach and Pier this time.



Our next stop is Pine Island on Wednesday!



Details Royal Coachman RV Resort, Nokomis, Florida --- Daily rates range from $40 - $75 while we were there in December. Rates kick
Fish CampFish CampFish Camp

Let the Fin Begin!
up to $62- $85/night during January, February & March which is about par for the course during the "season." Full hookups, cable TV and decent wireless connectivity for both my AT&T and Wes's Verizon.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

Wes at Sharky's With FriendWes at Sharky's With Friend
Wes at Sharky's With Friend

Just like the painted horses of Saratoga; Venice has its painted dolphins and turtles!
Step Right Up Get Your Bait & Your LunchStep Right Up Get Your Bait & Your Lunch
Step Right Up Get Your Bait & Your Lunch

The South Jetty Fish House is colorful!
Pool at Royal CoachmanPool at Royal Coachman
Pool at Royal Coachman

Just like Goldilocks said, "Not too hot, not too cold, this pool is just right!
Put the Sherry in the Bisque!Put the Sherry in the Bisque!
Put the Sherry in the Bisque!

Very, very yummy at the Crow's Nest on the Jetty north of Venice!
Raw Bar Sampler Crow's NestRaw Bar Sampler Crow's Nest
Raw Bar Sampler Crow's Nest

I loved my raw bar; Wes loved his sirloin sliders!
Christmas LightsChristmas Lights
Christmas Lights

December in Florida is very colorful in a tropical way ... we caught the Sarasota Lighted Boat Parade on local SNN TV. The anchors were on the roof at Captain Jack's and the boats were wonderful!


13th December 2012

Thoroughly enjoying your blog and pics. Will you continue south and end up in the Keys? We'll be down in the Keys starting mid-January.
13th December 2012

Have Fun in the Keyes
Not thinking we'll make the Keyes this year - glad you like the blog. Have a fun trip!

Tot: 0.437s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 31; qc: 112; dbt: 0.1678s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb