Western Coast of Florida


Advertisement
Published: February 3rd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Click on the to see more about the state park
St George State Park


“ Always be a little kinder than necessary”
-James m. Barre



We walked around Manatee Springs in the AM, the water is so warm, I can understand why the manatees like to come here. It is a wonderful place to picnic and walk the boardwalks and view the rare birds nestled along the Suwannee River. We didn’t see any manatee but there were lots of vultures, doing their clean up job.
We fueled up and continued our journey west and north along the panhandle coast. We arrived at St. George State Park. This area is called the forgotten coast of Florida, and that is a wonderful secret. The campground is just beautiful, it is set back some 4.5 miles from the park entrance. The natural sand dunes and grasses create a magnificent natural beach. It is understandable why it was voted of one of the best beaches in the country.
Again this state park is a find! This island is accessible by a 4 miles causeway, and signs of development are everywhere except at the state park. The island is 26 miles long and is one of the barriers islands up in the panhandle. St George State Park has beaches on one side and the bay on the other. It is only at this end of the island does one get to see both from a single vantage point. We admire whoever had the foresight to set aside this piece of land for everyone to enjoy.
.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Beach Beach
Beach

this park is located at the end of a slip of land and Is one of the best beaches


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 30; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb