Homosassa Springs Wildlife State Park


Advertisement
Published: March 1st 2009
Edit Blog Post

This amazing place was once a private theme park. The state of Florida deserves kudos for purchasing it and enhancing a wonderful natural area. In the transition from private to public; all non native animals were distributed to zoos and other appropriate venues. The hippo, Lu, once a movies star, remains because he is too big and dangerous to move. The map and signage earn an A + rating!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Playing with the ManateesPlaying with the Manatees
Playing with the Manatees

The Manatees love the warm springs that dot Crystal River. This is from a lookout at Homossa State Park. People are actually swimming and snorkeling with the Manatees.
Manatee ShowManatee Show
Manatee Show

This well-versed volunteer got in the water with the manatees who live at the State Park. The show was more nature program than show per se! Manatees were lured to this spot with carrots. They also eat cases of "restaurant grade" lettuce each day.
ManateeManatee
Manatee

There are six female manatees in the park. They live in a natural environment but stay in the park. They eat lettuce and carrots (restaurant grade). In the wild they eat sea grasses. They gravitate to warm rivers, like the warm spring fed Homosassa River, and swim out to the Gulf of Mexico to feed.
The Fish BowlThe Fish Bowl
The Fish Bowl

This observation deck is
Bald EagleBald Eagle
Bald Eagle

Many of the birds at Homosassa State Park have been rescued. This eagle can't fly; but he is beautiful.
My Bird Identification Guides are HomeMy Bird Identification Guides are Home
My Bird Identification Guides are Home

Note to self - travel with a bird book!
Lu, the Hippo, Lu, the Hippo,
Lu, the Hippo,

The only non-Florida specie in Homosassa Park. He was left over from the park's former life as a theme park. Lu was just too big to be moved out when the monkeys and other non-indiginous animals were shipped elsewhere.
Old Florida SignageOld Florida Signage
Old Florida Signage

Love these funky old signs.
Narrated Boat TourNarrated Boat Tour
Narrated Boat Tour

We took a tram from the visitors' center to the park inself and a narrated boat ride back at the end of our stay. Very good narrations.


3rd March 2009

Beautiful Wildlife
Joanne and Wes: These are the most beautiful wildlife photos I've ever seen before in my life. These pictures look better here then in the book.
3rd March 2009

We went to Homossa a couple of weeks ago, again - had a good time but Lu just slept -- he wasn't going to give us a show! My cousin Louise and Frank Stagliano are here with us. They came down with us in Jan and will stay until March ??

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0405s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb