On the Gulf Coast


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Sarasota
February 10th 2014
Published: February 10th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone

Before I set off to meet Mickey tomorrow I better get a few days of blog up to date. Suz and I have continued to have excellent weather hot and sunny , sometimes a wee bit humid but we are not complaining and I am well aware that the photos I am sending are brightening up the grey days of rainy England for some of you.

So after cruising we got our rental car and set off from Tampa south to a town along the Gulf Coast - Englewood where we had a few days Intervac Hospitality exchange and were hosted by the lovely Sharon and Theron...thank you both...and I look forward to seeing you at my home in the summer. for those three days we zoomed around and enjoyed Venice Beach, Sarasota and Sanibel Island. Not enough time to fit in everything we wanted but doing our best.

WE have added to the wildlife list of creatures seen - inummerable wonderful birds in the JD( Ding) Darling wildlife reserve on Sanibel - egrets , different herons, pelicans, storks, roseate spoonbills and an alligator sunning himself a few yards away from us amongst the birds on a sand bank... lots of crabs waving their claws at us and then as we pootled along the road 3 racoons scampered across the road in front of us- WOW!!! That wildlife reserve is a great place - a drive through of 4 miles took us about 2 hours as we stopped every few yards and also did a few walks. Sanibel is a pretty place and a fabulous white fine sandy beach made from shells. Happy memories of being there with Michael too.

Venice Beach and Sarasota are also lovely places to visit - more grainy sand here , turqoise sea - interesting buildings especially in Sarasota - and cutsey shops. Of course there are marinas and boats to look at and take photos.So here are some of them.

Once more I am amazed at the diversity of the USA , and it is probably a pity that more folk don't come here to Florida and explore places other than Orlando and Disney.


Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



10th February 2014

Still raining here!"!! xx
10th February 2014

Florida is so much more than Disney
You are getting a good look around. The J Darling nature preserve is lovely. When you come back you should go further and take an airboat ride in the everglades. You won't always see alligators but the birds and views of the swampy areas are lovely. There is a restaurant in Sarasota that has the worlds best cinnamon rolls. You will need to try them on your next visit.
10th February 2014

canning jars
Lynn We have cupboards full of canning jars too. You are welcome to take as many as you like when you next stop by. We enjoy the pics. Bob and Marti
16th February 2014

Jam jars
Interesting to see the jam jar. We went to a café in Victoria on Vancouver Island last year where they used jam jars and straws for alcoholic drinks which had pieces of bacon floating on the top. The young men of the city didn't seem to mind at all having their drink this way! The café was called Jam and the food was to die for. Wonderful reading your latest blog, Lynne. Can't get over the courage you have driving in all those foreign places. Neither of us would be so brave!! Jocelyn and Mac xx

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.1381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb