Sarasota - Theatre, Jazz, Restaurants


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Sarasota
February 18th 2009
Published: February 23rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

It is hard to beat Sarasota especially for its diverse cultural, urban, natural beauty and beach destination mix. We can't get enough! We saw Shakespeare's The Winter's Tale at The Mertz Theatre at the Asolo Center for the Performing Arts near the Ringling complex. We enjoyed a play last year at the beautiful, intimate and Historic Asolo Theatre and decided to try the larger theatre this year. The Mertz Theatre is another gem. Expect perfect accoustics, great seating and a very talented repetory cast (it's Florida State University's Graduate School of Acting). The production was amazing. After a slow start with the business of getting the charactes introduced and getting accostomed to Shakespearian languge; we settled in for a treat. The stage effects are amazing as are the casting, costumes, lighting, music et al. The second act takes on a lively and colorful, 1960's hippie tone and this tragi/comedy has a happy ending. The Winter's Tale runs through May 16, 2009. Catch it if you can.

The Ringling Art Museum didn't disappoint with a special exhibit of Italian wedding chests complimenting John Ringling's wonderful collection of master works. We took two tours - every docent is wonderful and every tour seems unique. The courtyard, with its statue of David, is marvelous.

Still on the Ringling Campus, "Third Thursday's at the Ringling" brings a jazz event to the water front piazza of Ca d'Zan, John and Mable Ringling's fanciful mansion. We joined Zita and George for a great evening. We were; forewarned to come early and bring sweaters as it might be chilly after sunset. We did and it was. The idea here is to line up early - about 5 for the 6o'clock event. Early birds - like us - got wicker chairs and little wicker coffee tables. There were several cash (really cash - no credit cards) bars where wine portions were very generous and food vendors with a nice varied menu. The sunset was fine, and the band, G-Force, had a great male vocalist and got us dancing!

There was an accoustic duo at O'Leary's on Sarasota Bay on Friday night; but the chill sent us over to Marina Jack's for a sunset drink and appetizers. Reggae/Carribean music outside; mellow piano by Rock Lee inside. We especially liked the tasty and creative, if pricy, flat bread menu - the brie with raspberry sauce and portabello/artichoke were
Mertz Theatre Mertz Theatre Mertz Theatre

There was a jazz trio, champagne compliments of Lexus, a great gift shop of mostly local artisans jewelry and wearable art to keep us occupied in a beautiful lobby and porch setting while waiting for the house to open. The Winte's Tale by Asolo Repertory Theatre was amazing.
exceptional.

The Downtown Sarasota Juried Arts and Crafts Show was on for two days; we picked Saturday as the Farmers' Market criss crosses the Art Show and we could kill two birds. The juried show had tons of paintings, fused glass, large sculpture, Florida themed art (we bought a pelican print) and so much more. Wes waited in line for huge, fresh gulf shrimp at the farmers' marekt.

We had passed Coastals near the south bridge to Siesta Key several times and decided to give it a try on our last night in Sarasota. It was an excellent choice - elegant indoor restaurant, casual outdoor dining; and for those with boats- docks. We waited at the bar (and watched a golf tournament) while we waited for our table. Comfy bar stools and great views of the inland coastal waterway. The food was wonderful - oysters and seafood casadillas for me - grouper for Wes.

In between our comings and goings, we soaked up some sun poolside at Sun n Fun and lost a few bucks at bar bingo while we ate our pizza one night when we didn't feel like going into town. Sun N Fun is
David at Ringling Art MuseumDavid at Ringling Art MuseumDavid at Ringling Art Museum

We saw the statue of David in Florence and the Ringling is an exact replica. It's in the beautiful courtyard at the Ringling Art Museum.
the most complete "RV Resort" we have visited. It has mini golf, a putting green, great pool and two hot tubs, bocci courts, shuffle board, a lapidary shop, a wood working shop, a "trade" library in the laundry room, church on Sunday, a stocked lake with a fishing dock and the every popular pool side restaurant and bar. There are tons of activities - which are more geared for full timers - even an annual musical put on by residents. There is a masseuse on call and on weekends, dog groomers set up a tent and had appointments all day long.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

Still Life With Parrot - Ringling MuseumStill Life With Parrot - Ringling Museum
Still Life With Parrot - Ringling Museum

This is by a Dutch painter. Our docent explained that aside from it being a beautiful and complicated painting; it is allegorical - everything in the painting is transitional - as is life - the oysters are about to fall off the plate; the mango is starting to brown. Nothing lasts! A bit morbid - all that luxury and abundance is fleeting.
Gregory HubbardGregory Hubbard
Gregory Hubbard

You only see him from behind; but I really loved talking to this self taught artist. He was influenced by some of the masters - especially those who employed bright colors. Wonderful work.
CoastersCoasters
Coasters

Great location, great views, great food!


Tot: 0.693s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 27; qc: 125; dbt: 0.4222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb