Sarasota / Siesta Key / Turtle Beach Weekend


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Sarasota » Siesta Key
February 18th 2011
Published: February 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Here's a typical weekend from our Turtle Island, Siesta Key, Sarasota camp site. Needless to say, we love our week here. Now that this part of the vaca is over; are already thinking about next year!

We always hit the Sarasota area timed for the annual Exotic Car Show at St. Armand's Circle on Lido Key (that's the one that leads to Longboat Key toward the north end). If it's St. Armand's at meal time, for us, the only restaurant choice is the Columbia. We especially love to split their famous 1905 salad prepared table side and a pitcher of red sangria. Some day we will try the white sangria! We're bringing some carefully chosen gifts from the Columbia's gift shop next door.

The cool Sarah Palin sculpted caricature that has graced my face book page "spoofily" is from the gallery to the north of the Columbia.


We surprised ourselves with a great pre-6 pm dinner (I believe that's 'earyl bird') at Turtle's on the bay across from the camp site. We are hardly ever early diners; but dinner and two for one cocktails during happy hour satisfied. We walked "home" through the public park adjacent to the camp ground. The stroll on the beach was perfectly timed for the rising of the full moon!


We skipped the Saturday downtown Sarasota Farmers' Market to get to the Car Show at St. Armond's Alfa Romeos, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Aston Martins were among the 100 plus cars on display. After our Cuban lunch we crossed the Ringling Bridge and headed downtown for the Art Fair roughly at Main & Lemon Streets. This juried show is another of our annual "don't miss" itinerary favorites when in Sarasota. The print we bought is among this blog entries' pix!


For our last night on Siesta Key, we headed for the Drum Circle on the main beach. The drum circle is a Sunday night pre and post sundown happening with drummers, other musicians, belly dancers, hippies and their children dancing and kavorting and passing out flowers on the beach to celebrate sun set. The crowd has really grown since we first "discovered" this happening. Parking was a nightmare, Wes and I got separated, I didn't have my cell phone, yada yada - bad feeling to be lost in a crowd. Lessons learned. But it's fun and the sand on
Seascape by Georgia JanisseSeascape by Georgia JanisseSeascape by Georgia Janisse

Can't wait to get this framed! Bought it at the Downtown Sarasota Art Show.
this beach is like talc.

We crawled our way out of the parking lot and by the time we got to SKOB had gotten over the shock of how one feels in a crowd - one without the other! No more getting lost in a crowd for me.

SKOB had a mellow band (actually spacey), a half hour wait for a table and food worth waiting for. Hasta Manana, Siesta Key - we'll be back!

On to Sun n Fun - an RV "resort" in direct contrast to lovely, primiative Turtle Beach.

Question to you readers - if a middle aged plus woman asked to use your cell phone because she had lost her husband and it was getting dark === what would you do?


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

At Columbia RestaurantAt Columbia Restaurant
At Columbia Restaurant

A pitcher of sangria, rojo de vieho for Wes, queso picadillo for me - clearly our most favorite of all St. Armand's restaurants.
Gallery at St.Armand's CircleGallery at St.Armand's Circle
Gallery at St.Armand's Circle

This is next to the Columbia Restaurant retail store - amazing caricatures - sculpted and drawn.
One of a Kind Alfa RomeoOne of a Kind Alfa Romeo
One of a Kind Alfa Romeo

With a color scheme like the Italian flag, this 1960 prototype Alpha Romeo Vignale was named best of show at the Exotic Car Show on St. Armand's Circle this weekend. It had been abandoned in a swamp and required tons of time and money; plus the machete to cut it out of its hiding place!
The Band at Siesta Key Oyster BarThe Band at Siesta Key Oyster Bar
The Band at Siesta Key Oyster Bar

This is our farewell night at Siesta Key - The place is packed, the band is decent, the food - ribs to share; fish n chips for Wes, and oyster Po Boy for me - delish. Nice way to end a great week.
Siesta Key Drum CircleSiesta Key Drum Circle
Siesta Key Drum Circle

Hoards of people; but you have to have this experience at least once. Every Sunday near sunset, main beach Siesta Key.


22nd February 2011

St.Armand's Circle was a favorite of Carl's and mine.....good memories...great photos...thanks for sharing! with envy, Jayne!
22nd February 2011

thanks!
THanks for sharing Joanne and Wes! I'm so happy you are doing this. And for the record - I would DEFINITELY share my phone... Did you have a hard time borrowing one??
26th February 2011

phone
I guess I would dial the # for her.There are sooooooooooomany scams.and then beware of calls from # you don't recgonize

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0389s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb