Florida Beaches


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Panama City Beach
November 20th 2012
Published: November 20th 2012
Edit Blog Post

View of the AtlanticView of the AtlanticView of the Atlantic

A view from our trailer of the Atlantic Ocean surf
We drove south to Flagler Beach, Florida on Wed Nov. 14th. We are at Gamble Rogers Memorial Recreation Area which is about 30 north of Daytona Beach. Our camp site is about 50 yards from the Atlantic Ocean surf, at high tide. Nice view and pleasently noisy from the surf. It’s been cloudy, windy and cool. 65-70 degrees. On Friday we took a bike ride to the Inter-coastal waterway and saw more sail boats headed south. We haven’t seen any alligators yet. There are a number of RV parks in the area. It looks like they are about 30%!f(MISSING)ull. I guess it is a little early in the season for most of the snowbirds.

We drove across Florida to the Gulf coast on the 17th. The highway passes through a very remote part of Florida. They even have bear crossing signs along the road. We spent the night at an RV park in Panacea, FL near the Gulf.

The next day we ended up in Panama City Beach at the St. Andrews State Park. We got a camp site on the bay and are close to very nice white sand beaches. The beach is a short bike ride
Bridge on the ICWBridge on the ICWBridge on the ICW

Rick and I passed under many of these on our Florida boat trip. But not this one.
from the camp site. We finally have some sun so we spent lots of time on the beach. We got to see an alligator “in the wild” while on ourbike ride to the beach.

Our trailer suffered an “Ouchy!” when I tried to back into a very small campsite with over hanging tree branches. A branch scraped the roof and tore the rubber roofing. They gave us a larger campsite when they realized we just weren’t going to fit in the first one. Karen and I climbed up on the roof and used some white duct tape to make a temporary repair to the white roof. I was able to buy roof patching material at a local RV dealer. Our temporary fix looks so good that we will wait to make a permanent repair later in our trip.

We are thinking about staying at Panama Beach for a few more days and enjoying Thanksgiving on the beach.



Happy Thanksgiving to all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Gamble Rogers State ParkGamble Rogers State Park
Gamble Rogers State Park

Gamble was a folk singer who lost his life trying to save someone at this location.


20th November 2012

Happy Thanksgiving
Glad to hear travels are going well. Hope you are enjoying retirement, Karen! You must have started out on the road right after the last day of work. All went well in Mexico and we had a great time. Hope you find some turkey & apple pie for Thanksgiving. We'll be with Harold at the farm. Karen
20th November 2012

Thanksgiving
Hope you have a great Thanksgiving, too! Serving shrimp on the beach is my recommendation for Turkey Day! Ann
20th November 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!
It sounds like you both are having a great time seeing the country and really enjoying it! It is warm here, 57 degrees, and lovely. We wish you both a very happy Thanksgiving!
27th November 2012

Happy Holidays!
I'm a little late to wish you a Happy Thanksgiving so I'm opting for being early with Christmas :) Sounds like you two are having a great time and Wayne is doing his usual great job with the Blog - can hear the surf!!!! Stay safe and stay in touch!!
28th November 2012

Enjoy reading about your travels, sounds like you are having a good time and having warmer weather than back here in Wisconsin.

Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0816s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb