The 'Magic' of 'Fast-Pass'...


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Orlando » Disney World
January 3rd 2011
Published: January 4th 2011
Edit Blog Post

The Castle...The Castle...The Castle...

..cetntral structure for Magic Kingdom..
This being written the day after as opposed to on the day as both Reubs and I have been mildly afflicted with that most serious of ailments..Homosapien Influenza...commonly known as 'Man-flu' and whilst he has been a trooper, dad's been a little under the weather. Clearly I was ill because yesterday morning Sandy even offered me the opportunity of having the day off, although I am not sure if she was serious...there was just something about the way she said, "ooh, does boo-boo want to back to bed for some more bye-byes'" that made me suspect she was not that sympathetic. Anyway now fully recovered so no more flowers please!

We were off to the Magic Kingdom... So 10.00 am and we were in the first recongnisable queue of the day. This was the car park gate, which is 12 booths wide, all of which were operating and at this time 12 cars deep. Lucky we waited to go on a quiet day!

Having parked in 'Daisy 34'...whole family must remember this as invariably most us of will forget...Reubs is the most reliable in this actually. We joined the next queue, the one to catch the carpark train to
Cute...Cute...Cute...

..Missy and the rodents..rodents a real theme here!
the entry gates. In many of the parks we have been intrepid explorers and walked, showing our disdain for those needing to be delivered, but here in Magic Kingdom the car parks are the size of small Pacific Nations and we didn't have our tramping boots, so caught the second trolley / train thing. Glad we did as was a fair distance.

Next queue was to either get the river boat or the monorail to the gate of Magic Kingdom. We went for the Monorail and waited 15 minutes or so and then en route. Mono rail is not bad and I tried to tell the kids this was the most popular ride in the park but they weren't wearing that. Great perspective on the area around and the approach to the park and castle as well as some interesting views down into the Disney resorts, both inside and out.

Next queue 5 minutes for bag search and todays searcher was traditionally diligent on my pack.

Another 5 minutes at the ticket queue and we were in. Sandy read somewhere that it takes 45 minutes from the car park to the actual park and that seems about
Spinning teacups..Spinning teacups..Spinning teacups..

..another signature attraction of the park..timeless for 6 year olds.
what we experienced today.

Once in the park we established that just as everyone has told us when we said we were going this week, "Oh, no-one will be there that week," no one was there. In fact it was the Noone Family Reunion, Mum and Dad, Uncles and Aunts from Alberta and Georgia, the Spanish cousins Juan Carlos Noone and Carlos Juan Noone...in fact all of the Noones had made it.

Fortunately, the Noones are not that big a family and we finally experienced a Disney Park that did not bring flashbacks of skirmish lines at National Party Conferences. And the size of the crowd does make a significant difference. Not just on the ability to try the attractions and the length of the queues but more notably the ease of moving around freely. The whole atmosphere of the park was far happier...Mum's were not yelling at Dad's, kids were not crying and balling because Buzz Lightyear was a two hour wait (cos it wasn't) and people were smiling...and yes, I will admit it, there was just a little magic to the place.

Sandy had mapped out the day with 23 things she wanted us to
Indy..Indy..Indy..

..Reubs at the wheel..
try for in our 2 days here. We got straight into it and headed for Tomorrowland. First port of call was the Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin. Fast-Passed it, a new experience as in previous parks the Fast Pass has either been run out within minutes of opening or has a queue longer than the event itself and is for times 6-8 hours away near park closing time, and walked straight in and onto the ride. Reubs and I were together as this was a shooting thing with points so it was a competition...Reubs was able to scrape through with the win as unfortunately, dang it, I had a faulty cannon!!

Caitlin then met Chip'n'Dale...one of the longer waits of the day was for her to have her Disney Autograph Book (yep, that was a really good idea mum!) signed plus compulsory hug with the tree rats. She loved it so well worth the little wait. Note, given differing attitudes to hygiene and noting the appearance of some of those embracing the characters, how often do they get the outfits cleaned. Another note, why would 30 year old men queue up to hug and get their photographs taken with
Driving Lessons...Driving Lessons...Driving Lessons...

..she will not be getting the keys..
Squirrels...? Soccer players I'm guessing!

Next was the Indy Cars Speedway...Caitlin attempted to drive me up the wall, literally, and loved it whilst Reub's acted out 'Driving Miss Daisy'.

Reubs and I went exploring whilst the 'chicks' did the teacups...only guys that do the teacups are squirrel hugger softies as far as we were concerned. We went and got Fast Passes for Peter Pan's Flight and got times between 4 and 5 pm. It was now 12:35 so we went, found the wimmin folk and had lunch in this quaint, authentic little Bavarian establishment - 'Pinocchio Village Haus'. Given previous rantings about bad diet options available this was a little different. They do the standard kids meals, one a basic pizza but comes with either milk, water, apple juice as well as a bag of baby carrots and a bag of grapes. These meals were $3.95 each. Also had a range of salads, a little more expensive and not bad but a Ceasar Salad is lettuce, grated cheese, a bag of croutons (containing 4.5 croutons which we found amusing) and a choice of dressings. So lunch in this charming little venue overlooking the start of the 'Its a
Refreshment stop..Refreshment stop..Refreshment stop..

..better than blue slushy..but not by much..
small world after all' ride.

This inspired us and our next port of call was the famous 'its a small world after all' ride. This is one of the trademark rides of the Disney empire and Caitlin loved it. Personally felt the world was just not quite small enough as castrated chipmunks choral pieces are just not big features on my ipod selections. Very well done and even Aotearoa represented in a small display of a Maori maiden and two Kiwis on steroids.

Then our longest queue of the day, maybe 25 minutes, to get into the Haunted House. This was one where Dad had Caitlin and Mum had Reubs. Despite my aversion for things demonic etc...this was really well done and very, very funny as well as a couple of 'I wonder how they do that moments'...dancing heads for example. Caitlin loved the ballroom dancing ghosts and the mirrors where you see ghosts sitting in your capsule with you.

Then Reubs and I went to do some more exploring and Caitlin and Sandy did the Carousel.

After a cup of coffee it was time for the Peter Pan Flight. Short queue after using the Fast
Absorbed..Absorbed..Absorbed..

..Reubs was worried the princes and princesses might start kissing in the stage show..
Passes and onto the ride. Kinda similar to the ET thing at Universal in its set up but not as polished. Reubs a little disappointed as he had expected more and to be fair, whilst good, it did not live up to the hype.

Next was the Philarmagic 3D show with Mickey and Donald. This was really funny and again good wholesome family humour. When Donald gets water thrown over him the crowd gets splashed also. Good 15-20 minute show. Funny watching people, and lots of them, trying to catch or fend off objects that appear to be coming at them.

Now after 5 so start making our way out. Stop in front of the Castle for the 5:15 pm show involving Mickey, Minnie, Donald and Goofy and supported by a cast of others from the Princess movies, Peter Pan and the witch from Snow White. Complete with a few fireworks this 20 minute show had Caitlin completely absorbed, just standing dead still at the front taking in every moment...yes, there is a little bit of magic, you just gotta keep your eyes open to see it. Now that sounds like a line from someone who has just
The Man himself..The Man himself..The Man himself..

..kinda need to take at least one picture of the guy here.
spent too many hours in the Magic Kingdom and is close to becoming a Chipmunk Canoodler...(cannot believe I just used the word 'canoodler' - our blog rule is no editing so stuck with it now)

A few minutes after this was a short disney parade down Main Street and then a look through the shops on Main Street.

Now the journey back to the carpark, same as arrival, just in reverse funnily enough. As getting out is so much easier than getting in we were back at the car in less than 30 minutes and on our way home.

Stopped at the supermarket to get todays lunch and then home for dinner which Sandy had prepared the night before (prepared! - Allyson Gofton eat your heart out).

Did I mention the weather was fantastic! Well it was.

Today up and getting ready to head off. We are not buying into this getting in at gates open as it is apparent everyone else is and that kinda defeats the purpose. Sandy spoke to some vendors yesterday who were saying how quiet it was and how today and tomorrow are anticipated as being even quieter. We will
All Star Quartet..All Star Quartet..All Star Quartet..

..stage show at end of day..
see but if like yesterday then there will be no issue and should be another good day for the kids...




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Princess of the Mices'esPrincess of the Mices'es
Princess of the Mices'es

..watching the stage show by herself just turning to make sure we are still there..
Street float..Street float..
Street float..

..Toy Story cast..
Last look..Last look..
Last look..

..it was dark..


4th January 2011

HYGIENE
Okay got a few chuckles in this blog but the big one is probably reserved for your concerns on how often the chipmunks costumes get washed... its Disney - they probably don't get dirty (or they have one for every day of the week and spares)... Just to clarify on soccer players though - they don't as a rule hug chipmunks - they are too busy hugging each other for that! Sorry to hear you had man flu - hope my flowers arrived in time... didn't sound like you were getting much sympathy though! Once again great photos and its great to see you all having so much fun...... Speak to you soon,. Karen
4th January 2011

Man flu? wot's that........
Great update - sounds like a real exciting day had by the kids (and adults no doubt). Thanks for the update on Caitlin's driving - I'll make sure the keys for the Swift are well hidden. Again some brilliant pics and these daily blogs have helped us to enjoy your holiday even if vicariously. Hope the 'lads' are both feeling better and that the 'wimmin' don't sucumb as well. Enjoy your next day at Disney - there is certainly something there for everyone. All well here. Lotsaluv.
4th January 2011

Rodent patrol
There is an interesting article in the Florida times about how most of the theme park characters are off sick with some form of "Man flu" apparently they have all been hugged by the same person in the last two weeks and are feeling the effects now. Dont try to deny it Mike we all know you secretly long to frot with furry creatures hence their sickness. Sounds like "They" were right when "They" predicted no crowds at Disney this week Eh! looks like Caitlin was in her element watching the parade etc. I dont belive Reubs beat you on the Buzz Lightyear ride you may as well go and line up for the teacups now!! Hope today was as good as yesterday. take care The Swampies

Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0734s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb