Marco and Naples, Florida


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Marco Island
December 9th 2008
Published: December 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Naples, Florida. We signed up for a half day fishing trip on the Lady Brett out of Naples and to our amazement, Connie and Issac, the same couple from Maryland/Washington DC that we met on this charter last year were aboard. It was so much fun to see them and catch up. We caught lots of grouper that weren't "keepers" (because of size), but Issac and I hit it lucky and each caught a fish we could keep (and eat). Connie descriped a great recipe for fish soup and she took the fish heads (the main ingredient) back with her on the airplane. Captain Paul filleted the hapless, headless grouper and we froze half and Wes cooked half of it (breaded lightly with panko) for dinner --- delish! It was worth it that I broke a finger nail landing the thing! December is such a nice time of year to be in Florida - the beaches, roads, charter boats, restaurants, etc. aren't crowded and Chistmas and Channukah decorations look even nicer on Palm trees, not to mention warm breezes, no humidity, few bugs and just enough rain to wash off the jeep. We had drinks at the Hilton in Marco Island with a friend (Angela) of a friend (LJ) and her friend Dick. Dick has been in Marco for several years and really knows his way around. Our neighbors at Silver Lakes are so nice. The man next door - Don from Arizona - brings us the local daily paper after he finishes reading it each morning. And, the local real estate guy brought us coupons - one with 50% off the second ticket on a boat to Key West. Tigertail Beach at Marco Island is lovely. Before dinner at Goodland's Little Bar on Wednesday evening, we walked around this quaint and funky island. We met up with a man from Melrose, NY who was feeding a parrot roasted nuts. The parrot, unteathered atop a golf cart while his owner was enjoying happy hour at the Little Bar, had a limited, but for a bird "impressive" vocabulary. We left Naples on Friday morning - destination Pine Island. Hope you'll stay tuned. Only need 18 more "visits" to the blogg to log in 11,000.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Wes, Joanne, Angela, DickWes, Joanne, Angela, Dick
Wes, Joanne, Angela, Dick

We meet Angela (LJ's friend) and her friend Dick at the Hilton for sunset and drinks.
Joanne and her 23 inch grouperJoanne and her 23 inch grouper
Joanne and her 23 inch grouper

This was a thrill to catch - the guide told us that grouper can hurt you in several ways - teeth - dorsal fin - other fin - etc. and, in my case, it caused a broken fingernail while reeling him in! Worth it!
Connie and IssacConnie and Issac
Connie and Issac

What a surprise to run into this couple. We fished with them last year.
Marco Island Farmers' MarketMarco Island Farmers' Market
Marco Island Farmers' Market

The handsome baskets are made by women in Africa. We bought shrimp (caught the previous night), guacamole, beautiful green beans and asperagus and some sauces made by a lady from Naples. The market has moved from the church, where it was highly visable last year, to larger quarters near the Marco Island Library. Worth hunting it down! I really needs better directional signage.
Shrimp Nets and Floats, Goodland, FloridaShrimp Nets and Floats, Goodland, Florida
Shrimp Nets and Floats, Goodland, Florida

There is quite a fishing industry in picturesque Goodland.
Sunset with an American Flag and a Work Boat Crane, Goodland, Fl.Sunset with an American Flag and a Work Boat Crane, Goodland, Fl.
Sunset with an American Flag and a Work Boat Crane, Goodland, Fl.

I have tried to clean the sea water spots on my lense. The spots totally ruined some nesting bird shots and wind surfer shots from Wednesday at Tigertail Beach. Does anyone have a solution?


12th December 2008

Great Photos
By the looks of things you guys are off to a great winter. I really like the photo of the Palm House Gate but JoAnn with the grouper is priceless. Enjoy!

Tot: 0.723s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 21; qc: 119; dbt: 0.1662s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb