Key West - Most South East US Destination Accomplished


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Keys
December 14th 2011
Published: December 15th 2011
Edit Blog Post

We finally reached our most South East destination - Key West, Florida - our trip only goes West from here!

Overseas Highway, the 125 mile long road connecting numerous small gems of islands that are like a broken necklace, ending in the very quaint, historic town of Key West. But most surprising of all, was how busy and chick it was, entertaining all age groups, with stores, pubs, restaurants, bed & breakfasts, historic houses, and best of all - a busy marina, which had 2 cruise ships in the day we were there. Needless to say, the streets were teaming with people until late at night, when most pubs provided live entertainment, all competing as to who could play the loudest music. Reminded us very much of Mexico. We found a wonderful Bed & Breakfast (Old Town Manor) which was built in 1886, and part of the "Ghost Tour", though we didn't have any visitors that night 😉. We had decided to leave the motorhome back in Fort Lauderdale for one evening, and just enjoy the two day trip by car. The back gardens of the Manor were lush with palms and banana trees, and was a perfect place for breakfast, where it was 23C/74F by 9:00 a.m. We finished our trip with an afternoon stop at a state park beach, soaking up some sun and swimming in the ocean. Got our first sunburn of the year.

We now start heading west to the Gulf of Mexico - Punta Gorda & Tampa, Florida. Final destination in January - Surprise, Arizona.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



15th December 2011

Does kind of look like parts of Mexico! You have had quite the expedition south. Enjoy the rest of your trip to Surprise.
18th December 2011

Jealous on Vancouver Island!
Oh, sunbathing! How wonderful! I have just been out kayaking for the day out of Nanaimo, around Protection Island. Weather was much better than forecast - we had some sunny spells and only light winds, but still quite chilly and hot shower this evening was heaven! You can imagine I am sure. Your B and B, Old Town Manor, looks exquisite. I wonder if Rick and I will ever make that side of the country.

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.03s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb