Leaving USA


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Key Biscayne
March 11th 2014
Published: March 11th 2014
Edit Blog Post

We are ready to leave USA, leave North America. The winds turned today and are now coming from the South, but the waves had not settled yet. We could have left today, but since the winds tomorrow are also from the south and the waves will have calmed to three feet and less we will leave tomorrow around 6 am. The gulf stream is not wide at the moment, and the current will only be 1 knot instead of the more usual 2.5. There will not be a lot of wind, but everything else is perfect for an easy crossing. I think there will be a few other boats leaving tomorrow as well- they have been here a few days and this is a well known waiting spot to cross over.

We are in No Name harbour in Key Biscayne. It is small, but really well protected. We arrived in the area on Saturday afternoon. No Name harbour is a park which allows day use boats to come in for 8$, and all weekend it was very busy with local party people. We decided to anchor outside until Monday morning, and the difference was incredible. Outside is pretty much near a channel and you have traffic until night, then fishing boats in the early morning. In the harbour there is far less wind and no waves. There is a restaurant at the end of the harbour as well, and many walking trails including a trail to the park's beaches- it is really not a bad place to have to wait for a weather window as long as you can take the music and business of the weekends. There is a fee of 20$ to anchor overnight.

I was excited to actually go swimming off the back of my boat for the first time. We have had Caribee for quite a while now, but we have not used her in a recreational way. So far it has been repairs, traveling in cold weather, stopping mostly at docks to do more repairs..... and very little "fun" use other than the one race and the odd sailing days with visiting friends in Fort Pierce. This is really the beginning of a new chapter for us.

I will leave you with some recent pictures of Fort Pierce and our current location while I still have some data left in the USA. Next up= North Bimini in the Bahamas!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



12th March 2014

Happy travels
Have a safe crossing and a wonderful trip. It bring back good souvenirs.
12th March 2014

thank you!
12th March 2014

Finally
Hey guys -good luck. Maybe once you get settled you can invite us down for a cruise. Roger and Sarah
13th March 2014

thank you! We'll keep in touch :)

Tot: 0.15s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0592s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb