Last week in the J-ville


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Jacksonville
August 19th 2011
Published: August 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Thought i would re-create the crocodile scene from romancing the stone, and go hang out with the crocodiles and alligators at the St Augustine gator farm.
The park had 23 different kinds of gators, and great big enclosures all lying around being lazy. So when it was time to re-create my scene (swapping the romantic stone with pellets they are suposed to like) the gators didn't really move much and weren't hugely responsive to the food.. thus my hand stays on for the time being. Even when i threw it at one, it didn't budge.
We wandered around the park, saw some hideous looking vultures and other crocodiles.. then waited for a feeding frenzy in the main enclosure. These ones were really big, the biggest 16-17feet long. They were fighting over the food and would were alot more excited... would have been better to use these ones for my movie re-creation.
Next on the itinerary was nerding it up at the Kennedy space center. We drove two hours south of Jacksonville to Cocoa beach (where Kelly Slater grew up), to touch some space ships and aliens.
Sadly there were no aliens (well none that they would let us see), but there were lots of rockets n' things, and even a piece of the moon... that of course i touched. Oh and robots, robots and robots (little obsessed). All the exhibits were really interesting and it was cool to see alot of space history, but i got a headache from the space ship launching simulator.. so had to take my name off the job application list (will have to stick to being a nerd scientist and not a cool astronaut).
After wandering around the center, bumped into some old geezer astronaut.. great way to end the day... and a great way to end my time here with the family.
Has been great hanging out with them and getting to know them all over again (this time im not young and hiding shoes around the house so they can't leave). Am sad to leave them, but it gives me a good excuse to come back (hint hint, if you want to start a collection)
Off to DC tonight, to have lunch at the white house tomorrow.





Additional photos below
Photos: 32, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0464s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb