To the Point of the Dragon


Advertisement
Published: April 7th 2011
Edit Blog Post

You don't see this every dayYou don't see this every dayYou don't see this every day

How about an airplane on a barge in the ICW
Saturday we reached Riviera Beach Marina in the early afternoon. They don’t have floating docks, just those short concrete docks you’re supposed to back into. That’s fine if you have twin screws (we don’t) and there is no current or waves (there were plenty of both.) So we spent close to two hours adjusting lines so we felt the boat was secure in changing tides and currents.

Once we were satisfied with our lines, we called Kerry’s niece, Deanna. She picked us up and took us to her house, where we cleaned up and had a few refreshing beverages. Deanna’s daughter, Kristen, Kristen’s fiancé, Will, and Kristen’s father, Ray, came over for supper, a delicious lasagna. We sat at the table visiting and laughing until almost midnight, faces hurting. What a great time we had, it was wonderful getting to know Kristen and Will (Ray, too.)

Sunday we mostly relaxed, but went over to Will and Kristen’s for pizza. They were in the midst of packing up their house as they were closing on a new one the next day. So we pitched in a little, mostly putting together boxes and moving a few things around. We shared a few more laughs, too.

Monday morning, Deanna took us by Walmart for a few groceries before taking us back to the boat. We sat on the boat with Dee for a while longer before she had to head back to help with moving. The weather reports were calling for stormy weather on Tuesday, so we decided to stay another night or two at the marina and wait out the winds.

As it turned out, the rain lasted about an hour on Tuesday afternoon, and the winds were not much either. We watched freighters from the Port of Palm Beach going in and out and a cruise ship leaving port. We ate dinner at the tiki bar by the marina.

Wednesday, it was back to the ICW, traveling as far north as Ft. Pierce, where we anchored near the causeway. We shared the anchorage with 5 or 6 sailboats.

This morning we continued north and the Indian River, through which the ICW runs, is quite wide, and choppy in places. Of course, the big go-fast boats make lots of chop themselves. Tonight we are anchored off Dragon Point at mile 914 of the ICW. Alas, the dragon
Stormy skiesStormy skiesStormy skies

from Riviera Beach
is gone, fallen to pieces due to effects of weather and gravity.

More later.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Cruise shipCruise ship
Cruise ship

leaving Port of Palm Beach
Jupiter LighthouseJupiter Lighthouse
Jupiter Lighthouse

near Jupiter inlet
SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

over Ft. Pierce
Dragon PointDragon Point
Dragon Point

that flat green on the point is all that is left of the Dragon that stood on the point for 30 years


7th April 2011

The FL leg
Hey there, Do you think you will be hanging around that area long enough to maybe see the space shuttle launch later in the month? That would be somethin'!! Safe cruisin!

Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 22; qc: 67; dbt: 0.2257s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb