Crossing the line


Advertisement
Published: October 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Crossing the Line
After a Buddy walk, we pulled lines, fueled up, pumped out and were on our way. Destination: Fort Walton Beach, about 65 miles south. We were bundled up with heavy jackets and gloves although within a short while we retired to the down helm in the comfort of nice heat. We stayed on the inside on the Intercostal. Much of the portside was populated by settlements; condos and individual homes. Lots of docks, tiki huts and boat lifts. Along the starboard side the view was more often of deserted barrier islands with very white sand dunes and sparse trees. For the most part we were able to mosey along at about 13-14 knots with an occasional slow down for a no wake sign. We crossed the line from Alabama to Florida without much fanfare. A pleasure boat rushing by gave us a huge wake and a little shock (Mary now not only doesn’t want to heel, but doesn’t like a “little shock” either). We crossed several large bays that had white caps and rougher water, but it didn’t seem to make a difference to LeGriffin, aka, Desert Fox. A single gov't base, Ft. McRee was a view on the starboard side, however, there wasn't much activity there.

Arriving at the city dock in Ft.Walton, we tied up and were the lone customer. The price was perfect, 0, nothing, zippo. Of course there were no amenities (el,water,cable, etc). You are allowed, if you call, to stay there one night. The city dock is close to a commercial section with restaurants and a Publix. After a delightful and most filling lunch, Mary took her wheeling backpack to Publix, only two blocks away. Later in the evening Rog started the generator and we had heat, TV and computer work. That system seemed to run fine without any issue.
This morning we will pull lines and head to Panama City. It is going to be another chilly morning (39degrees). I think it is colder here in northern Florida than in Poland, NY this morning. Crazy!!!



Additional photos below
Photos: 38, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb