Goodbye Destin


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Destin
January 20th 2013
Published: January 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Cynde Found the BeachCynde Found the BeachCynde Found the Beach

Cynde is celebrating life on the beach at Henderson Beach State Park.
After three great days in Destin, it is on to Central Florida and Disney World in the morning! Our route will take us across the southern panhandle and down into western Florida. It will take us about seven hours of driving to get to Disney late tomorrow afternoon.

Believe it or not, Walt Disney World actually has an RV Park!!! It is on the grounds of Disney's Fort Wilderness, so it should be really great! We will be there four nights before we will start our journey back to OKC.

Thursday was spent browsing the antique stores and of course eating sea food. It was still unseasonably cold for January in Florida, but we braved the frigid temps and managed to make it to the beach in time for the sunset. Watching the sun set over the gulf has become our daily custom since we have been here.

On Friday we found that we were low on propane - fuel for the central heat - so we began a search to replentish the supply. That led us on an adventure to a RV park with extremely gregariuos workers. They took great pride in their campground and insisted that
SunsetSunsetSunset

The sunsets here on the beach are just amazing, even in the cold!
we have a personally guided tour. This camp ground has sites directly on the water. It was pretty amazing, but a little too comercial and definitely too crowded for us. After fueling, we returned to our "home away from home", jumped into the FJ, and took off on new adventures. As you can well imagine, there are many shopping opportunities here, shopping malls, outlet malls, and of course, tourist trap trinket stores on every corner. We did find a couple of pieces of ceramic ware that we like - California ware. It is really a funky glazed ceramic, most often resembling some type of vegetation in the form of a bowl or plate. We have several pieces of this already and really plan to focus our collection on this particular ware.

Saturday, Cynde evidently quizzed a lady in the bathroom about local attractions and she hit the jackpot! There is a costal highway that threads through many small colorful communities perched on the water. The homes are beautiful and the beaches are white sand, just like in Destin. There are public access beaches and state parks galore!

This is a great area to visit, but if you are
At Home in FloridaAt Home in FloridaAt Home in Florida

This is our camp site. We really did not take much time to set up all of our camping accessories!
looking for sun and fun, I suggest that maybe you wait until March or April! The water is really cold in January, and even the sand can't absorb much heat from the elusive sun!!

Here's hoping that a more southern latitude will bring warmth!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Sharing another SunsetSharing another Sunset
Sharing another Sunset

Just another amazing sunset!
A Rainbow of ColorA Rainbow of Color
A Rainbow of Color

What else could I say??
Original ArtOriginal Art
Original Art

Just some restaurant art that caught my eye - while having some really great blackened shrimp.
Heating the GulfHeating the Gulf
Heating the Gulf

In the summer, you can actually hear the water sizzle when the sun touches the horizon.


Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0503s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb