A Taste of the States


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Florida » Cocoa Beach
December 27th 2010
Published: December 29th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cocoa Beach
It's crazy how returning to one's country can be more of a culture shock than adventuring through foreign lands. I guess you expect a drastic change in life when you leave, but you think things will all be the same upon return. I decided a few months back to suprise my parents for the holidays...and it was a hard secret to keep! I flew into Miami and actually had more logistical problems (mean bus drivers, dark streets and no phone all added to the problem) getting to Fort Lauderdale. My old roomie finally opened her door and I frolicked all over what was to be my king-size bed for the next few days, took a steaming hot shower and passed out. Jeremy came in a few days later, and mind you he had been out of the country for a year, and we had a wonderful experience: pizza delivery!!!!The wonders of the modern world. It was funny, as Jeremy walked in he asked the couple, "this may sound like a stupid question, but can I drink the tap water??"Ha. Then a friend from back home sequestered us and secretly transported us 3 hours north to Cocoa Beach, my hometown. We tried to hide out all day, but it was so lovely we went out on the bikes. That night the suprise was revealed...not only did I fly in from Colombia, but I also brought a boy! It was such a fun dinner, even though mom showed up 2 hours later- I felt like I had gotten stood up! My older brother drove up and I felt like a child again while we watched the CB Christmas parade and gathered the tossed candy. We enjoyed a few nights out and about with delicious beers and daytime hanging with the family...but I think the majority of our time was spent eating. Yes, I said it...a whole lotta food!!!
Jax Beach
After a few days we continued our trek to Jacksonville Beach, with a stop off to take my lil brother out to lunch. To get to Gainsville we followed Dad's reccommended "scenic route" which took us to the largest gathering of garden knomes I've ever seen! That night, seeing my close friends gathered around at Happy Hour put a big smile on my face, which was only amplified by the delish taste of Stone I.P.A. yummmm. Our mornings were busy, with Charlie's beach time, afternoons full of either Bloody Marys and hellos or champagne and giggles. Jess talked us into staying an extra night since she had been working all the week as "the breadmaker of the family" and I'm glad we did! The Zac Deputy concert was amazing and I got to see alllll my buddies. We left the following morning with hurting heads and upset tummies for a 10 hour drive to...
New Orleans
In South America I have never bothered with reservations and so we didn't think anything before setting off on the next leg of the journey. After stopping at oh i don't know, TEN hotels we still wound up paying $150!! And that didn't even include breakfast! We hit Bourbon Street and that whole place is like a casino...there is no notice of the passing of time: people are always present (drinking of course), relatively few cops, lots of dirty smut bars and overpriced drinks. One night of that was enough. So our time in N.O. was just a continuation of our trip thus far...an eating and drinking tour of the town! We had to leave super early the third morning to head back to CB to suprise grandma and have a dinner party with an amazing Cuban couple...After a few more days and a tour of the Beaches Bar's on bikes, here I am, in Colombia, still awaiting my visa paperwork!
My favorites you ask?? Hmm...I'd have to say in New Orleans: The Bloody Mary which was completed with pickeled green beans and later followed by cornerside fried chicken and mashed potatoes
In Jacksonville: Jeremy's homemade green enchiladas put my mouth on fire, which was soothed by Nicole's Rum filled egg-nog
Cocoa Beach: Definitely mom's bbq chicken and steak and red wine
And now the adventures continue...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 13; qc: 58; dbt: 0.0575s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb