a view


Advertisement
Published: October 29th 2006
Edit Blog Post

This is my very first entry and hopefully many interesting one will follow. I wanted to write about many different topic and issue, but i am constrained by both time and ability. Anyway, here is a thought:

Tibetans in Tibet are drawn to India for many reasons, mainly for religious freedom and educational opportunities. Every year, thousands (apprx. 3000) Tibetans from across Tibet enter India, both legally and illegally, many risking capture, frost bites and death. Through out the chilly winter of Tibet, Tibetans in thousands, pay hundred of Yuan to guides to guide them across the treacherous paths, into Nepal.

Winter in Himalaya is cold to the extreme therefore the border guards will not need to be as vigilant at the snowy mountain passes. This rational drives many Tibetans, mostly young and determined, to make the ultimate journey, toward their lama and freedom. This September, a group of Tibetans stood at the mercy of the Chinese PAP, at the Nagpa pass as guards opened fire on these hungry, tired, cold and completely defenceless Tibetans. A mountian climber's video camerra captured the action, which shows a person fall, and lie dead in the snow after a gun shoot by a Chinese guard. The rest of the group kept walking, probably becaues there is literally nothing any one of them could do - they are several hundred feet from crossing the border and they have been walking for at least a week, in snow and are minimally quipped in terms of clothing or food for this long and hard journey.

The eye witness account and the photo and video evidences sparked International outcry. About half of the group that made it to Nepal and eventually to India were received warmely by everyone and their plight covered widely in the media. the fact that this incident was captured in video and photo and also the unfortunate death of a nun and another person elivated this case to the international stage and received wide news coverage by major news agencies.

If anything positive can be have from this horrendious incident, it is that, this stand to testify to the world community that Tibetan in Tibet are not happy under China and Tibetans crossing the border are treated like dogs by Chinese guard. the Tibetans coming from tibet, espcially those that do not have a valid passport, should be received with care and given much needed attention from every one living in free and relative prosperity, which is done by the Central Tibetan Administration to its limit.

On the other hand, becuse this incident received so much attention it caused Chinese to loose face. China will do their utmost to prevent such similar happinings in future. Foremost they will restrict the border by deploying more guards, which will deter Tibetans from crossing. Tibetans will continue to cross and many more people will land in Chinese jail. In fact, last week, about 50 Tibetans trying to cross border have been captured. Now it is much harder for those without passport to reach India. These are mostly politically, economically and religiously constraint.

so we must not only think about raising such issue in the International forefront, but also focus on long range aspect as well. For this case, i believe it is to ask our self, what about the rest of the Tibetan who wants to cross, but now can not?




Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0335s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb