USA - Washington DC


Advertisement
Published: October 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Friday 16th
Another travelling day with flights from Lima, to Panama City and then onto Washington. We flew by the entrance to the Panama Canal and saw all the boats lining up for the trip through. Panama City looked quite impressive with lots of sky-scapers. We got to DC and our hotel, the Washington Plaza, at 3.30am!!….and were very glad to crash out in very, very comfy beds.


Saturday 17th
It seemed the Welsh weather had caught us up and decided it was going to rain all day. Nevertheless we walked 15 minutes from the hotel to the White House and went on a tour of the gardens there. We walked right in front of the Oval Office and because it had lights on inside we could see who was there…it was President Obama himself showing some people around! We were very excited and when double checking with a couple Americans who we thought it was in the Oval Office they looked and returned big smiles saying ‘Yes I think you’re right’! We also walked around the Children’s garden and saw the cemented handprints of various Presidential children and also checked out the President’s basketball court!

Next we walked along the Mall towards the Capital Building and went into the Air and Space Museum. An excellent place…really good displays of all eras of aircraft and lots of info on the development of aeroplanes, the space race with the USSR to put the first man on the moon and space flight. Gadget city!


Sunday 18th
We had two weeks of smelly clothes to get clean, so spent a chunk of the day sorting that out. We also got ‘Skyping’ with Andy’s family back home for a certain Ruby wedding anniversary….it worked really well and was good to see and hear them all.

Mid afternoon we headed to Georgetown and went shopping along the trendy high street and also walked around the university a bit (no Bill Clinton’s around this time). The whole area seemed to fit in with sceans you see in many moves, with joggers running through the leaves from the fall, past old a buildings and University clock towers etc…


On Monday 19th we had an early start due to flights and as the sun was shining we did an hours walk to the Capital Building via the White House and Washington Monument. Managed to get a Pass to the House of Representatives gallery and so we could see where a lot of the high powdered debates occur. They were not in session until Tuesday but the Senate were sitting at 2pm. We had a flight to catch to LA at 1pm and so had to head off, passing the US Supreme Court and the FBI Building. On the way to the Dulles airport all the traffic on the slip road to the highway had to stop to let the Presidential motorcade pass by…..just to say G’bye to us of course!!

Have a nice day y’all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 24


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb